You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

panel lighting inside of coach

on my coach there are a number of control panels made out of the black plastic engraved and then have switches or guages etc.

i have one over the driver, as you enter the coach, over the microwave, and in the bedroom.

what newell used to give that glow to the labels is a limosine/aircraft neon strip that they taped to the back of the panel in a daisy chain affair.

they use high AC voltage at very low amps. so there is a special inverter required for them and there is one for each location.

the only reason i fooled with them was that i heard a high pitched squealing and it was driving me nuts. i traced it down to the inverter for the panel over the microwave. steve bare and russ white had already been down this path so had the sources for it.

i ordered 2 inverters and thought i would be good. after i replaced that one and stopped that noise, then i heard another one. it was the one behind the panel on the left as you enter the coach with the master switch etc on it. so i replaced that one and then heard the noise in the bedroom. so i had to order more.

the one under the drivers left arm console isnt making noise.

i also ordered a spare length of strip and color plastic.

tom

http://infiniteinnovations.thomasnet-nav...ip/elp0121

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

For a while those inverters were not available. Glad to see they're making them again.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks! I need one for my bedroom panel!

On my coach, the backlighting for the panel over the driver did not work! When we investigated it turned out that there was none of the fancy tape installed. No backlighting at all! Newell used their new system to add backlighting. It was expen$ive. If I had it to do over, I would have used the old style tape and a new inverter.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

the panel over the driver on mine has no backlighting at all.

steve, i bought these last year after we talked. they still had some then, but maybe they are out.

tom

Last year it seemed like their web site said that they had a few left & would only be making them on a special order basis. I called them & discussed the special order issue. I bought a few when you did as the special order price was going to be much higher in smaller quantities. They now are offering them again on their web site, so maybe they rethought their decision.

Infinite Innovations is located in Springfield, MO. If any one who is going to Spearfish needs any thing from them, I can pick it up for you and save you shipping.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tom,

I thought I was the weird one with no backlighting on the over driver panel. My panel has the switch for Docking Lights,Aisle lights, Ceiling lights and for the dash Down Lights. If you are driving at night (I know a lot of folks don't do that)....It's impossible to see the labels. This is the ONE panel that NEEDs backlight. (IMHO)

I like the fact that I can see the labels at night, even though I am usually a "day driver".

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

i drive at nite alot. and it is strange that panel has no lighting.

my panel has different switches, but similar

tom

If you have room to add it, all you need is a 12V source. And you'd have something no one else has....................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

something to add to my list. but at the bottom of it....

tom

All of the backlights in my coach (dash up and down, over the range and in the bedroom) are not bright enough to read the words in the daylight, so I have to have a flashlight at each location to read them. Any suggestion to replace the little strip lights would be appreciated.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica