You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Procedure for not getting stuck

Gurus,

I am at a dog show in rural Mississippi.  I am parked on grass on a slight upward incline.  It rained all day yesterday and the coach to the left of me got stuck when they tried to leave.  The tow truck drug them within a foot of my drivers mirror on the way out.

What is the best procedure for getting out of a muddy field?

My plan is to use the diff lock to lock the axles together AND to use the tag switch to increase traction.

Is this a good idea?  Any thoughts would be welcome.

Actually, I’m not leaving til tomorrow and think the ground will be firm but I am using this as a learning experience.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

when i have visitors at my place and it happens to be a time with a big rain....not often.....i dont let them leave for a few days. they will get stuck. its part of the terms and conditions....ha

that said. if the weather is drying out....why not just stay another day or two

you have been towed before........

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Very helpful, Tom! I was trying to forget about getting towed....and about the firetruck knocking my mirror off! Both those thoughts went thru my mind yesterday.

I am thinking that putting the tag switch in the increase traction position will make my drive axle sink more.

I may be here til the spring thaw!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

A couple thoughts....................................

When parking on grass I always pick a site that is level to downhill only.  I use a second day rule.  I don't try to move the coach until the second day after rain.  Lightening the tag & locking the diff is good strategy.

Don't force it.  If it doesn't move easily using the second day rule...............................................................I use the third day rule Big Grin

I attend many NASCAR races where parking on grass & rain seem to go together.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I would go slow & easy. If it gets a little dicey, stop before you are really stuck & wait it out for another day or so. A lot easier to keep from getting stuck than to have to get unstuck. Not to mention $$$$ for tow & possible damages. Remember, "patience is an honest virtue", "haste makes waste". If you absolutely must go and you are not sure about ground conditions, think about having someone with a heavy duty 4X4 or maybe tow truck hook up a long tow cable and give you some assistance pulling to get you through the muck before you get it completely wallowed down. Assistance vehicle should try to stay on good ground during the procedure. I have used corrugated tin roofing panels to build "road" across soft sand for pick ups before. Placing tin down then driving up on it. Carry the pieces from behind to the front as you drive across 8-10 feet at a time. Not sure how it would work on a heavy coach in mud though.

First, get a spotter or two. If the rear tires spin, stop immediately! They will dig a hole in a second. Then you are committed to a tow. You can't tell the tires are spinning from the drivers seat.

You might see if you can find some carpet to put in front of the drive tires. Or if you can get to a home store, rip a sheet of OSB in half and use that under the drive tires. Or corrugated board, anything to spread the load of the tires on the ground.

Go straight for as long as possible and don't turn the fronts until you have to. Looks like you may have to turn to get onto the paved road from the picture. Don't make the slightest turn with the fronts until the coach is moving forward. Once you get the drives on pavement you can jockey back staying on the pavement with the drives in order to complete the turn.

DO NOT rock the coach like a car. It will be on the frame before you know it.

Wait as long as you can to let the ground dry out.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This might sound very smart but you can alway just hand a set of tire chains before you even start to move. They are easy to install and will get you out of mud or snow.

I meant to hang not hand.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Bill, I made the mistake Richard was talking about, don't turn the steer wheels. it took very little to stick the front and it took a wrecker to pull me straight. Goodsam came to the rescue but they couldn't get the embarrassment below the laughing and pointing level.

This was what is thought would work for me. Dodgy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-10-2018, 10:04 AM)Rongripon Wrote:  Bill, I made the mistake Richard was talking about, don't turn the steer wheels. it took very little to stick the front and it took a wrecker to pull me straight. Goodsam came to the rescue but they couldn't get the embarrassment below the laughing and pointing level.

Tow strap might damage bumper of truck

1995 # 390

(12-10-2018, 10:04 AM)Rongripon Wrote:  Bill, I made the mistake Richard was talking about, don't turn the steer wheels. it took very little to stick the front and it took a wrecker to pull me straight. Goodsam came to the rescue but they couldn't get the embarrassment below the laughing and pointing level.

Ron, I am at a loss for words, too funny! Thanks for taking the time to post  Big Grin

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model