You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front sway bar broken

Gurus,

I am at the factory having annual service performed.  One of the things on my list to check out was a “clunk” in the front suspension when moving slowly and going over an impediment like a gutter.  

I had already noticed that the bushing that holds the sway bar was beginning to look a little worn and my plan was to get Newell to replace the bushings.  

It took them about five minutes to block and secure the coach and pull the passenger tire.  Another minute of poking around and they said that they had found the source of the “clunking”.  Yep!  My sway bar was BROKEN!  (Like in two pieces).

In my defense, the break occurred inside the bushing and was not easy to see.  With the wheel off, it was easier...but was not obvious.  It became painfully obvious that the bar was broken when the mechanic pulled out the short end.  (See pics).

Newell had a new sway bar in stock and was able to install.  (Installation is straight forward, but does require the airbags to be unbolted on bottom and pried up and out of the way)

I have not driven the coach yet, but the difference when I added rear sway bar was dramatic.  I suspect that this thing will drive a LOT better with a functioning sway bar.

If you look at the pics, you will see that the broken end is rusty.  This makes me think that the bar has been broken for a while.  I just recently noticed the “thunk” but have always felt the coach was not happy creeping over bumps at slow speed.  (Highway speeds are fine).  I’m gonna say that the PO was responsible and it was not the times that I have taken the coach off road, nor the numerous pot holes I have hit, nor the “tow truck incident”.  Nope, it was not my fault!  :}

So here is an upgrade idea....If you have a similar vintage to mine (Pre 2004 ZF) and you don’t have sway bars (front and rear), consider getting them.  You can look under coach in rear to see if you have one and the front is mounted behind the suspension with then ends under the airbags.  Newell apparently stocks them.

I included one pic of the new sway bar.

Bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Roro was trying to tell you something when he chewed up the dash.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

looks like jbweld could have fixed that.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I wonder much torque it takes to break a 2” piece of steel!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(01-15-2019, 12:43 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  I wonder much torque it takes to break a 2” piece of steel!

Bill, please quit driving it like it is a motorcycle.Not saying it is your fault by any means.

1995 # 390

I did loan the coach to the Ron Skeen Driving Experience.  @"ron skeen" Maybe I shoud check the computer for the max speed history.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Would potholes cause something like that? I hope they checked all that stuff out when they aligned mine! Is there a way to SEE that type of damage?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

(01-15-2019, 01:27 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  I did loan the coach to the Ron Skeen Driving Experience.  @"ron skeen" Maybe I shoud check the computer for the max speed history.

Sell it now!

1995 # 390

On my coach, the broken place was inside a bushing / grommet. I could def. hear and feel creaking when moving slowly over uneven surface. If I examined the sway bar carefully, I suspect that I could have picked up a mis-alignment of the pieces.

If you don’t have creaking or clunking or other unexplained noises....likely you don’t have the problem.
I seriously have no idea of what caused it.

With that said, are you sure you have a sway bar? I am not sure whether it was factory, factory / aftermarket.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

This happened on my old mans 2005. Coach #730 several years back.

I am the head caretaker and floor sweeper on my dads coach. Also the one who drives it to Oklahoma for him for service.
2005 Coach 730