You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AM/FM in dash radio

I have a Sony, model #XR-C8200, in dash radio. Works fine but the display does not light. Display is in the detachable head. Any one have this radio? Anyone fixed this problem? I tried finding a service manual to no avail. Anyone have a service manual?

Thanks for any info........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

If it is the original radio I had the same problem. I guess it is just age.

I replaced mine with a new Sony just like it. Cost about $200

The good thing about using the same radio is that the passenger can control the volume, change channels, etc.

As far as I know, Sony doesn't sell just the display face. You have to buy a new unit.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga,
What model number did you replace it with?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Have qestion for you guys , on my 2001 coach I have radio unit above my head right where smart tire, gen control and other are,
I want to ask you before i start taling that black cover plate ( need to replace my head unit ) looks like all the gouges and controls have around face plates right on the black cover,
Do you have to unscrew every individulal gouge, smart tire cover, and other switches before you get that plate off?
I never open that plate and have no idea whats is in the back , but want to hot wire new head unt!

Thanks,

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

those gauges mount from the back on that panel. you cannot remove the gauges without access to the back. they will stay attached to the panel. just be careful so you dont break the panel.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(05-12-2013, 07:43 AM)encantotom Wrote:  those gauges mount from the back on that panel. you cannot remove the gauges without access to the back. they will stay attached to the panel. just be careful so you dont break the panel.

tom

Not on this coach , in the back is solid wall access to speak off.
It has to be from the from since the panel has mounting screws , problem is that all the gadgets like control lights, Detroit D engine computer and others have framing around them right in front of the plastic blk plate.
I checked under my Stereo AV but its solid shelf so no access there.
Might have to call newell on that

I noticed that many models will have different configuration of the overhead cabinet.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I'll take a stab! I have had that panel off before. I agree with Tom that the gauges and switches are mounted to the plastic and will come off with the plastic. My coach has a radar detector that has two screws that hold the bezel on. These need to be removed. The Silverleaf computer has a plastic trim piece, but that stays put when you remove the panel.

If you have a radio, then there is probably a plastic bezel that is snapped in. If that is the case, it probably snaps out exposing a little metal box that the radio clips into. On my coach the little metal box was clipped to the plastic panel and came out with the panel. (FYI, my radio is mounted down low by the key, but I suspect they used the same arrangement when it was mounted up high).

One other maybe useful thing is that under my audio receiver there is a trap door that lifts up and allows access to the back side of the panel. I only recently discovered that as it is covered with black felt and only had a small hole in it as a clue.

Also, I used to have a smart tire on my coach, but it was a little box velcro'ed to the dash. I bet yours in mounted in a cutout on the plastic panel.

Can you provide a picture?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(05-12-2013, 10:27 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  I'll take a stab! I have had that panel off before. I agree with Tom that the gauges and switches are mounted to the plastic and will come off with the plastic. My coach has a radar detector that has two screws that hold the bezel on. These need to be removed. The Silverleaf computer has a plastic trim piece, but that stays put when you remove the panel.

If you have a radio, then there is probably a plastic bezel that is snapped in. If that is the case, it probably snaps out exposing a little metal box that the radio clips into. On my coach the little metal box was clipped to the plastic panel and came out with the panel. (FYI, my radio is mounted down low by the key, but I suspect they used the same arrangement when it was mounted up high).

One other maybe useful thing is that under my audio receiver there is a trap door that lifts up and allows access to the back side of the panel. I only recently discovered that as it is covered with black felt and only had a small hole in it as a clue.

Also, I used to have a smart tire on my coach, but it was a little box velcro'ed to the dash. I bet yours in mounted in a cutout on the plastic panel.

Can you provide a picture?

Cheers,
bill
Bill, sounds good , I think I just start taking the each of the screws off and see what else I have to get it loose.

I do have smart tire, radar D. Detroit D to deal with
here is the image of the panel

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, If you take all the screws from the perimeter out that panel should come out with all of the instruments mounted. You will find that the wiring on the back is sufficient to allow you to pull it out enough to access the back of the panel for service.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(05-13-2013, 04:25 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Les, If you take all the screws from the perimeter out that panel should come out with all of the instruments mounted. You will find that the wiring on the back is sufficient to allow you to pull it out enough to access the back of the panel for service.

Thank you very much ! I will do that, want to remove the radio and take to Car Toys store and find something in the same size with newer futures!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb