You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Low engine power

I’m needing some advice on a 1989 8v92 in a Newell Bus, I drove it about 700 miles Saturday with no problems at all, the generator(complete separate unit from the bus),  had quit so I was working on it in the driveway, I did nothing with the bus at all other than move it from the storage area to the shop.....all was fine, when I went to put it up last night the bus had very low power and was slow to build rpm....it will build to max, but very slow and it also has always busted off without hesitation, but now it has to crank a few seconds and you have to give it some throttle to get it started, and when it does start it’s putting out a little black smoke, not bad except on initial startup.......so far I’ve changed both fuel filters, drained the separators and pulled the air filter, I’ve been told by locals that it’s the emergency shutoff valve, but I don’t see one...with the ecm, I’m thinking it don’t have one......any help would be greatly appreciated as it’s scheduled to go out again Friday.

Smurfy
Coach 184

Do you know why the generator quit?

I am just looking at the coincidence of both the generator quit and the main engine is now low on power. Based solely on what you posted, that sounds like lack of fuel, or bad fuel.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Guys I think I’ve figured it out....yesterday while working on the genset, I was checking circuit breakers on the master cutoff switches....one of them wouldn’t reset so I tapped on it and it seemed to reset ......so backtracking today I ohm checked the breaker and it was bad, I replaced it and the bus runs great.... it’s that murpheys law thing that follows me everywhere I go...thank y’all for the input......

Generator will still start, but not stay running once you let go of the start switch....I’m still working on that one ?

Smurfy
Coach 184

Thanks for posting the engine solution

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

"Generator will still start, but not stay running once you let go of the start switch"

That sounds typical of the shut off solenoid, try holding it in position when the generator starts. If it stays running while you are holding it then it is probably bad.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

PGen set will run with solenoid held in, but it still doesn’t make power. Im pretty sure it’s got to read voltage for the solenoid to stay engaged. I’ll keep looking

Smurfy
Coach 184

I'm not sure of the specs but that solenoid takes about 15+ amps at 12Vdc to pull in but only 1 amp to hold in.
I would think if it's not making AC voltage then that could be a different issue. Check your fuses and breakers on the generator, they may be on the back of the generator head in a box mounted to the gen. Is your fan blower working? that runs on either 120 or 240 VAC.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

We had a bad inline diode on our Kohler generator that resulted in a similar condition a few years back.

If you genset has one of the fire extinguishers in the bay then those can be a problem also... just have to disconnect it... Newell support knows all about them...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I too have to hold the gen switch for about 1 second after it fires or else it will shut right off.

Robert Lemon
South Florida
Coach #1426