You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radiator Cap Leaking

On my 2005 Newell, I have been loosing water, and finally saw where it was coming from. It was coming from the radiator cap (the one on the side for filling) It also has one on top where the water flows to the reservior. I called Newell, and they told me to get 2 new caps, 15# vented, and replace them both. I don't understand the purpose for both caps to be the same, since the top one regulates the overflow tank. It would seem to me that the other side cap woud defeat the purpose by operating at the same pressure as the top cap. I have noticed that the water level in the reservior tank never changes. I am thinking that I am going to go with a lower pressure on the top cap. The way I see it, if I had a 10# on the top, it would be free to do it's job. Any thoughts?

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

John, do you have a detroit series 60 engine?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(02-06-2013, 07:29 PM)encantotom Wrote:  John, do you have a detroit series 60 engine?

tom

Yes 60 series

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

My Coach is 722, 60 Series DDA, 6 speed Auto

John,
I have an older series 60, but I only have the side fill tank radiator cap. My radiator cap is 13#. When I add coolant I only bring the reservoir tank up to full. The reservoir just has a lid to keep dirt out. Obviously yours is set up differently. From your description I'm not sure where you have the second cap. Maybe a system drawing or photos would be helpful.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The cap on the radiator itself is the one that controls the pressure the radiator is seeing. The cap on the overflow tank should be the same pressure. If the overflow tank cap were higher pressure, when it reached its pressure the cap on the radiator could not open and overcome the additional pressure. If the cap on the overflow tank were lower, the overflow tank would bleed off first. If they were to be different pressures, I would err on the side of making the overflow/fill tank a lower pressure but it is better to have them both the same.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

john, are you ok if i add that to your automatic signature line?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(02-07-2013, 10:33 AM)encantotom Wrote:  john, are you ok if i add that to your automatic signature line?

tom

Sure...Thanx

Fixed my problem with a 10# cap on top, and a 17# on the fill neck. No more leaks....