You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Going to buy my first Newell 1988

Hello all, I am new to this forum! I will be going to buy my first coach and first Newell this coming week! I am flying down to look everything over and hopefully if everything checks out I will be driving it home. I was wondering if any of you had any tips that I should keep in mind when looking this coach over and driving it?? Everything looks like it is in good shape from the pictures and videos and talking to the previous owner. It has the Detroit 8V92, with I believe is the 5 speed, Allison. It is 40 foot with a tag axel. Anyway, anything I should look at or should change out if it hasn't been that any of you will know of would be greatly appreciated!

Cody Lynn 1988 40' Newell

Welcome Cody ! 
If you have spent any time at all on here you know that the paramount thing about the 8V92 is cooling . Ideally , have the oil analyzed . Otherwise look at the oil carefully , sniff it , etc . If the oil level is above full mark that could be an indicator of coolant getting into the crankcase .
Check coolant level , should be a sight glass for level . Otherwise remove rad cap (cold ) and use mirror or finger to check .
Look over hoses , etc , pay particular attention to the fan belts . 
Check dash gauges for air before starting.  If the supply is low , probably has a leak somewhere .
Pay attention to the time needed to build air after start up if supply was low .
Tires , age , condition and pressure . You are dealing with a very large and heavy machine . BTW, don't crawl under the coach without supporting it with cribbing or other means . A sudden air suspension failure will ruin your day .
Generator : slide it out , check oil , coolant , hoses , etc . Make sure the cooling fan is operational. 
Batteries : age and condition . Likely has two 8D starting batteries and six house batteries. 
Check the house systems , water pump , etc.
There are many things to check,  open all compartments and look at everything you can see  . 
Get a feel for the brakes before venturing out on the highway.  

This forum has a wealth of knowledge and really good people , I am confident any questions you have can be answered. 
Enjoy that magic carpet ride on the Interstate and good luck !
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Hi Cody. Welcome to the GURUS. Lots of experience here in this group to learn from. We bought an 84 Newell from a fellow Guru on the site, and have had tons of fun.

Please, before you head down the road in that coach, check the tires for a production date. Have the tires replaced if they have aged out. They can look perfect, but if they are over a certain age, they are not safe. Every owner has a number for replacing tires. Mine is 7 years. Forum members can tell you what it is like to deal with a sudden blow out. 

We look forward to updates of your Newell adventures.

Best wishes.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I would recommend an inspection by someone 
Who has expertise in large motor homes
Maybe a bus expert

If you share location and coach # someone on forum
Maybe able to help.

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Welcome Cody, looking forward to hearing of your adventures!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Hello everyone thank you for the reply’s to my message; life got busy and I didn’t check this form again. I own the bus now. It drives great and runs great all mechanical parts seem to be in good working order. The airbags do leak I believe it’s the back axle bags, it takes about 5 to 7 minutes to fill the the appropriate air pressure. The bearing and the rotor that marry the generator up to the generator motor was bad so I’m having that replaced. Getting the dash AC to work again was the biggest hassle and lead back to a solenoid that Newell no longer makes so they rewired it but my problem now is that if it’s off of AC, or on heat it trips the solenoid Labeled merge and clicks and the headlights dim Every time it clicks. Anybody know where I can get an original solenoid for the AC? Also does anybody know where a guy can get some spare compartment doors? The ones on it are fine but someone previously hit something and it scraped down the side of the compartment doors leaving a scratch/Gouge down the side. I could fill that in with aluminum binding and paint over it making a pin strip but i would need to do it on both sides, so it would be nice if I can just find some spare door somewhere.
Also what is the extra onboard air compressor used for? Is it for when your docked and hooked up to power to run the toilet and the few other AirPowered devices? I only can think of a few that need air while your docked and parked, like the toilet, the generator on the air slide and the cover for the entry doorsteps. Am I missing anything, Just trying to get my head around this bus and all the components!
Another question where is a good place to post all these questions I have?

Cody Lynn 1988 40' Newell

Let’s start with the last question first. Post the individual issues in the appropriate thread heading.

Do that and we will start trying to help. Answers provided to AC questions on the Introduce Yourself section make it really hard for follow the topics.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )