You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak at splitter valve, pressure relief, quick release

Yesterday we drove the coach to get some fuel about 2 hours away to a larger truck stop (I don’t like small stations where the fuel does not turn over often).  Once we got there (Fredericksburg, VA) we had a PM done at SpeedCo and got fuel at the Love’s there.  We stopped at Cracker Barrel for the night, ate and my wife did the obligatory shopping spree that always accompanies visiting the Barrel.  This morning we got up and I noticed the back end was low.  Brought it back to SpeedCo and you could hear the loud hissing from between the tires.  Looks like the air splitter/pressure relief/quick release valve is not sealing up correctly.  This means the 110v air compressor cannot keep up with the air loss. 
1) where can I get one of these things? 
2) where on the East coast near Maryland or Virginia can I get it installed?
Working on my coach in the RV Park is not going to happen (plus work has me really busy).
We need to get this fixed asap since we are staying in the coach for the next couple weeks. 
OH! I just realized that means the slide seals are going to deflate!!! I guess I’ll be trying out my new plastic 3M tape...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Just turn on your 12 volt air pump and the problem of your slide seals deflating is solved. Your 12 volt air system is not depleted by your air dryer leak.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve! We did finally figure that out also - there must be a one-way valve in the system that keeps the air seals up. The seals never lost air...
As long as we have owned this coach we have not really had big air issues - maybe they are catching up with us. I ran the 110V air compressor until the coach supply side filled and then switched to the 12v - will see how often it runs since we can (barely) hear it in the bathroom. Learn something new everyday with these things!

BTW, I think we are fine for now. Will get part numbers from Newell for both the supply and brake valves since the front valve (can’t remember the name off-hand) also had issues and will find a shop to replace both at the same time (hopefully). The front valve does not look like fun to change...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

I do not recognize your nomenclature. Are you talking about the height control valve, the relief valve on the dryer, the over pressure relief valve on the wet tank, or something else?

R

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, sorry for my bad descriptions and nomenclature... I believe there are two culprits - one is the over pressure relief valve on the wet tank (this is the one in the FRONT of the coach right?) 
The other is at the rear of the coach - see the picture - it is between the frame rails and between the axles I think (I could not see under the coach and I’m in a hole here - will get better pictures and some ramp materials to see it better today
BTW, we are back to nothing working except the slide seals - if I turn on the 110v compressor the doors/toilet will start working eventually but the pump cycles every 15 minutes so there is a big leak somewhere and I don’t want to burn up the compressor so i turned it off for the night. Newell will eventually call and I’ll get part numbers. At least I’m sort of ‘off’ for Columbus Day so I will have time to check it out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Here is something to think about. Right now, you are unsure what is leaking, and even more unsure what the leaking device is called. All of the stuff under there is STANDARD truck stuff. Nothing is proprietary or Newell specific. You really don’t have the equipment to safely change out the device even if you had a new one. All of the air will have to be exhausted from the coach. I have worked on air stuff in that area, and it is tough and nasty sledding. Lot’s of coach yoga (contortions) involved.

Since it is standard truck stuff, find a reputable truck repair place that will work on a bus. A bus repair place would be even better. They will have the parts or can access them the same day.

I would not order parts on what you “think” is leaking.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard! That is EXACTLY what I was going to ask ‘Is this something I should attempt?’... I will try to find a bus repair place today. There has to be one somewhere near Washington, DC... of course the truck stop was nearly two hours away!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Talked to Newell and the part is: Bendix 109424R-12P Valve Pilot Relay not sure where to get one but will check it out - I am NOT buying this part until I am sure I need it. Which means now I have to figure out how to safely crib/ramp the coach to crawl under it... always fun...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

If that is the part that is leaking, DO NOT drive the coach. That is an integral part of the braking system. If it fails completely you will have NO air, no brakes, and when the coach finally stops you will not be able to move it.

You should be able to get that part at a NAPA store.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

A BIG Thank You to Richard for his advice! I could not find a mobile mechanic nearby so we called Coach-Net and they sent out a mobile mechanic to change the R12P Relay Valve and the PPV. He did not want to crawl under the coach with the air bags down and wants to go back to his shop and get jacks and cribbing to hold the coach up. Can’t really blame him there... the R12P valve must be sticky because we lifted the coach all the way up on the air bags and it held fine with no air leaks. It did eventually leak down but the valve was not spewing air. So he went to get some alcohol to dry out the system and when he put it in the valve started spewing air again. He does not want to replace just the guts of the R12P valve only the whole thing... said it was due to liability...
I’m thinking of punting and waiting until I return in two weeks to fix the issue with the R12P. The coach is fine sitting without brake/chassis air in it until then.
For the Supply side I am thinking I will use the Infinicon today to see what I hear.
I cannot find the instructions on the forum anywhere but will continue searching for them...
Another wasted day ...

Karen & Adrian Abshire