You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide hanges up when retracting

Hey Guys,
I new some help ASAP. My #1 slide, drivers side, front, made a loud pop sound when I extended it a week ago. Today, when I retracted it, it blew the 4 amp AC motor fuse at the same spot when it made the load pop. I replaced fuse and my motors are fine, it seems like I have a linkage failure. Any ideas, as I'm stuck in Oregon, and have to head to California.
Thanks in advance,
Ross Daniels

Rossman #763
2013 Raptor toad
2004 Mini Cooper S toad
2013 BMW K1600GTL

Call Newell 888-363-9355 ext 1 and they can talk you through a over ride to bring slide in. If not they can tell you to call Valid 205-804-1247. You probably blew a bearing which can still be over ride to bring slide in.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Hey Guys,
Eight weeks in the shop, and $9200.00 later, my slide is fixed. Yes, it was a blown bearing, but very labor intensive repair, argh!
Work performed at Oregon Motor coach center, Eugene, Oregon. The slide work was approx $5000, argh!
Ross

Rossman #763
2013 Raptor toad
2004 Mini Cooper S toad
2013 BMW K1600GTL

Where did you have the repair done?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Newell replaced one bearing, and I should have done both, on my passenger side front slide. It took them about 4 hrs maybe 5 hrs.

Sorry to hear you had such troubles

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I cannot talk about HWH slides, but have a fair amount of experience with Valid slides. I have learned one thing about the bearings. THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE WET. Valid slides bearings are made with ball bearings that run in a tiny chase with very close tolerances. If the steel ball bearing get any rust on them, they will get stuck in the race...the next thing that happens is that the chase breaks spewing ball bearings everywhere.

Keep the skins of the slides well sealed. Look at where the outside skin attaches to the slide and at any joints in the roof. I also had a pretty good leak associated with a yard light.

My coach has been much happier since I have been diligent about looking for water leaks.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Just had all 4 slides seals and bearing replace at Newell. I thought I was going to have to leave the coach to pay the bill. I was at Newell for 7 days and the seals and bearing do take awhile.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck