You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

04-05 steerable tag guys I have a ?

Hey guys I am looking for an answer from those of you that have a steerable tag. I have a real tight spot where I park my current rig (40') and I am wondering if when backing up an 04/05 tag will help me to squeeze in.

Now I have not driven a Newell yet. I did however speak to someone in service at Newell and I was told it does! Everything that I have tried to find online says no. 

Can anyone confirm for me? I'm going to buy an 04 or 05 anyway but boy it would be nice if that is true.

TIA

rundlc

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Hi, Rundlc...in case you hadn't seen this, I'm posting for clarity in terms of steerable tag coach numbers (and to save Michael some typing!):

Pulled from: http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...58#pid3358
640-678 except 671 were 2003's (note there was no coach #666)
671 and 679-716 were 2004's

671 was the first coach with steerable tag
681 was the second coach with steerable tag
685 was the third coach with steerable tag
Beginning with 697, all coaches have the ZF steerable tag

Net, net...most, but not all 2004 coaches have the feature, so confirm coach numbers.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

I also just found this video for a steerable tag (not sure if it's ZF since this appears to be the bus mfr's video). I found the most interesting part to start around 2:35 when they show the two coaches in a split screen pulling away from the curb. The rear swing increases, and the turning radius is significantly reduced as you will see in the full lock turn. Reminder, this isn't a Newell product, so things may function slightly differently, but it's a good demonstration of the feature in this model bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJRJH43gu8

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Thank you Bobalou, ill check them out.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I don’t have a steerable tag, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express last week. One, I would be curious if the turning radius were different backing up instead of going forward. It definitely is on my fixed tag.

As if it will help you squeeze in, I don’t know if anyone short of shoehorning a 45 footer in the space could logically answer that one. Will it help, maybe. Will it hurt, certainly not.

You might also want to take a look at the slope of the space. Newells being close ground clearance creatures do not like abrupt transitions. The front or rear tend to drag. I know you have had other rigs, but the Newells are very close to the ground.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not sure if this help you visualize parking in your situation.  Take a look at the attached picture.   For us with a non-steering tag look at my track when backing into our driveway.  The concrete at the gate post is exactly 19 feet.  Distance between the gates is about 19' 6".  My driveway apron needs to be about 4' wider on this side to accommodate the turn radius.  While backing, my Wife is spotting and says the passenger side rear corner is about 18 to 24" away from the far gate post.  The street is 20' 6" wide and my passenger front wheel track is right on the edge of the far side of the pavement.  If I am lucky and the stars all in alignment I can do it without pulling forward to reposition.  

Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL
Wink 

[Image: ourhouse-rvparking.jpg]

You can see my 40' rv in the back near my garage. This is the "shoehorn" im talking about

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

This maybe wrong logic, but when I look at that situation I think pulling in forward and backing out would be easier than backing in and pulling out due to pivot point on rear axles and front end swing. Any agree or disagree?

Concerning a steerable tag, the man I purchased my coach from upgraded to 2008, and said you have to be conscious of rear end swing with steerable tag, you can easily side swipe something if not watching carefully. Not sure how that works when backing...

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

2003 non steering tag axle... "Like a glove"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

Ron,
Looks like a great job parking your rig!  Out of curiosity how wide is your gate opening?  How close is the drivers rear bumper to the gate post when making the turn?

Thanks
Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL