You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Frozen Batteries

Just got an expensive phone call ! My old coach has been sitting at a repair shop for two months they finally got around to starting on the minor work , and they say the batteries are all frozen ! They tell me that both battery switches were turned off , is it possible because the merge switch was left on that power could still go to the battery solonoid ? I even have solar panels on the roof but there is some snow on them , maybe no output ?  Huh Thanks for any thoughts Don

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

Even a little snow, or some shade on the panels will significantly reduce their ability to provide a charge. When you say frozen, do you mean the water in them is frozen?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Yes the mechanic that phoned said my sealed starting batteries are bulging and he had to boost them to start , also my large 6 volt house battery is split down the corner that he could see , we had a very cold couple weeks last month -30 plus !

Don & Linda
Coach #146

Don, any commentary on the coach is speculation without knowing exactly how it is wired. Many things could be different in the wiring since it left the factory in 86.

As you know, the batteries are recoverable. When you get the coach back, you will have to do some investigation into wiring, plus experiments to see what parasitic loads exist with the disconnect switches disconnected. Also you have to ensure the disconnect switches don't disable the solar.

I am sorry you had this misfortune, when you thought you had it covered with the solar.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I will definitely have to check the merge switch to see if there is a load or drain of some kind , not sure about the batteries up here in Calgary when they freeze they are as hard as a brick sometimes , I think that the plates are damaged beyond recovering most of the time ? I'm most upset about the two house deep cycle batteries , I think they are around 400 canadian bucks ! Do you think a cracked case can be repaired ? I would like to blame the shop for this but can't say for sure ?

Don & Linda
Coach #146

i would not try to repair a cracked case. too much nasty stuff in there to risk it. thats my two cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I tried to repair a cracked case after grandkids jumped my golf car over a hill and cracked a batt. I tried several remedies and could not get it to seal..

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I made a bad typo and did not proofread. I meant to say the batteries are non recoverable. My apologies. Spell check hurts me more than it helps me.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

And never try to charge a frozen battery!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

For sure , I wonder if driving the coach to my storage place with frozen batteries could damage my alternator ?

Don & Linda
Coach #146