You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HELP! Electrical Emergency!

Here’s what happened..... I was starting to cook dinner using two different electrical appliances, one plugged into outlet over kitchen counter, and one plugged into outlet under dinette....all was well for about 5-6 min., and then I turned on the fan over the pantry....not sure that’s what did it ,but shortly thereafter, the outlets with the appliances (pluggged into power strips) stopped....and from there, as my husband started trying things.....there are no circuit breakers for the kitchen or the GFCI outlets apparently!  He tried to reset the one GFCI outlet that has those little buttons, and not one would pop.  He went outside to check our pedestal, and turns out that we blew 1/2 of it  instead of the 220 we had only 120, and he had to change our cord to the next pedestal and call the manager!  Anyway, we have no idea what the problem is, where it could be or how to fix it.  Every outlet on the passenger side of the coach is out, and then the one at the driver’s seat, and both under the dinette.  We have 7 outlets that won’t work, and only one is not a GFI.  Anyone have any ideas?  

Gads, how bad is this???  
Pam

Pam and Ken Cameron
Diamondhead, MS

Full-timed prior in 45’ Travel Supreme Select
Looking to become more informed about and perhaps purchase a used Newell...
Now the new owners of Newell coach #566! 2000, 3 slides, 45’8” 

You indicted there are no circuit breakers for the kitchen or the GFCI outlets, but I will assure you that they exist. Do those go through the inverter? I have a separate sub-panel for the items that go through the inverter which includes the GCFI circuits in the bathroom and some of the outlets in the kitchen.

Someone with a model close to #566 (2000) should be able to give you some insight on the location of the breakers for the GFCI and kitchen outlets.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hello Pam
Going out on a limb here, those outlets may be supported by the inverter.  Have you looked at the AC circuit breaker panel close to the inverter?  On our coach the inverter and its ac panel are located, driver side bay, just in front of the fuel tank....yours may be different. 

Clarification....just in front of the fuel tank is our water service bay.  Just in front of that bay is where our inverter is located....still on driver side of the coach.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I think Steve has given good advice. If that does not fix the issue, then some sleuthing is involved.

Before sending you into a potentially hazardous situation please answer the following.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it to measure 120 Volts AC?

Are you comfortable with exposed 240V ? Because one of the steps will involve removing the cover to the transfer switch.

And to answer your question, it’s not bad at all.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you to all of you for your responses.....we did our sleuthing earlier this morning....and sure enough, Ken found the GFCI breaker panel behind the central vac outlet, basement driver side, mid-coach. Two of the three breakers were off. Indeed, sleuthing paid off, and thanks to your three for your expertise and advice. And Ken does have a voltmeter and was using it.....

But I was the guilty party, and thought I had fried the wiring. So great to have it all back on, and to know that you all are out there!!!

Pam and Ken

Pam and Ken Cameron
Diamondhead, MS

Full-timed prior in 45’ Travel Supreme Select
Looking to become more informed about and perhaps purchase a used Newell...
Now the new owners of Newell coach #566! 2000, 3 slides, 45’8” 

Your welcome and glad you guys got it working:-)

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL