You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

anti sway bar add on

i had talked to someone a while ago who said that on their 2001 or so newell they had put an add on anti-sway bar on the rear suspension.

the newellcoach site talks about it but only on coach 1272 and after with zf suspension. maybe my memory is wrong about what i heard.

any of you aware of what is available?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, the only reference I find to 'sway bar' for pre-ZF coaches seem to be from Gordon Hummel talking about his 1991. I need to talk to Newell tomorrow. I will try to remember to ask about sway bars on pre ZF coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Tom,

I had Newell add an anti-sway bar to my 2003 about 6 months ago. Wow! What a difference! Before when I went into a curve with the road tilted the wrong way...I was holding on for dear life. I felt like the coach was going to tip over. Now with the rear sway bars I am much, much more stable. (Already had sway bars in front)

Before the sway bar, I would never get over 70 on interstate...Now, I can go as fast as the front tires and my bank account will let me go.

I think it was $2500 but don't hold me (or Newell) to that. The bar itself is a u-shaped thingy that required a little welding to mount the brackets...but it did not seem overly complicated.

I have done a lot of upgrades to my coach...but this is by far the biggest bang for the buck! Big Grin

Bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Nice!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Talked to Chuck Clark, parts manager, at Newell this morning. He said that service has installed some sway bars on pre-ZF suspensions. He said that they were special ordered from IPD he thought.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Tom,

You might want to talk to Jim Gerring in service department. When I did mine it was not a special deal. ActUally an afterthought on a regular service visit.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

bill, did you think to get the part number and manufacturer off of the sway bar?

or is it on your receipt?

sometime when you are energetic, can you take pictures of exactly where it is mounted?

thanks

tom

Tom,

That particular receipt is not among the rest of my Newell paperwork...but I will keep eye out for it. I will also try to bug the service guys to see if they can find and reprint the receipt.

In the meantime, here is picture. The bracket to the left was welded onto frame and the right was bolted to suspension.

Let me know if you need higher res pics.

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

that looks simple enough. thanks for the picture.

now to find the part number of that bar. i sent a note to tommy at newell to see if he can help.

tom

ok, i called IPD. they sold that division to roadmaster 4-5 years ago.

i talked to wayne at roadmaster and he said that they make the bar just for newell. so to get with them. so then i sent a note to tommy.

i just sent a note to tommy to not bother with my request.

i thought i would go take a picture of my suspension to see where the mounts that bill had done would be on mine.

good news is i already have the anti sway bar.

here is the picture i took at lunch. compare it to bill's.

tom