You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Low voltage at dash meter

I'm on my first day  out on a 2 week trip to Colorado and noticed the volt meter only reading between 11 and 11.5 volts.  I don't think it will create a problem for the trip since we are staying in parks with hook-ups so the batteries will get charged each night for the next days driving.  Is there a problem with this thinking?  Should I have it checked out immediately?  I already know the drive end seal needs replacing, I plan on doing that when I get back.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

On my coach the guage is never accurate - I got a VMSpc for that reason. Check the battery connection are tight and don't wiggle for ALL the batteries (since you have the wrench in your hands). You might also clean them while you are there with a wire brush.
You will need to use the switch on the dashboard (assuming you have one) that is labeled 'Battery Merge' ONLY while stopped and ONLY while plugged in to shore power (Newell doesn't recommend charging this way with the generator as it has a small alternator on it). This will make sure your engine batteries (the ones showing on your dash) are being charged overnight. Make SURE to turn that switch OFF in the morning before cranking the engine. The reason you don't want to leave that switch on is because the engine alternator will be trying to keep ALL the coach batteries full and it will shorten its life considerably. You can always MERGE the batteries in the morning to help with starting in case your engine batts are really dead - just make sure to turn it off when done.
If all else fails call the mother ship (Newell) - they are excellent and really do help!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Good points by Adrian, to add to this you can run your generator and your inverter/charger with your merge switch on while driving. This will keep both sets of batteries charged. Important if you're running headlights.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks for the responses, I have the merge switch on, although I can never remember which way to set it. If I remember correctly one way feeds the starting batteries off the house and the other does the opposite. I did not remember to return it to the neutral position this morning, perhaps that caused the low voltage indication.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

At 11 volts your engine MAY shut down
How about running your Generator???
That should keep everything charged
Good luck

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

It may come to that, I'm going to make tomorrows drive with the merge switch in the neutral position to see if that changes things. If not I will seek further advice from people more knowledgeable than myself, of course in this case that would be most anybody. Smile

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

If using lead acid batteries keep on eye on the water levels. When I forgot and left my batteries merged even for a day, I noticed low water in my chassis batteries.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

As I recall Newell recommends to NOT run your generator and have the merge switch on at the same time - I usually use the UP position btw. The generator's alternator is not very large and you can burn it out ... although I did think this was a great idea at one point...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I was thinking about that and couldn't figure out why the generator would even need an alternator. I assume it uses the chassis batteries to start but isn't designed to charge those batteries. It seems that wiring it so that it would charge the batteries through the inverter as it does when hooked up to shore power would be more appropriate.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

On our 1991 # 277, when I ran the headlights, the dash voltmeter would indicate low voltage. However, the batteries always stayed charged. It would be really good to start engines/generator and check voltage at the batteries. If you have about 13.2/4 at the batteries, you simply have an indication issue. Newell might have installed too small a wire for the DC load to the front panel AND dash voltmeter. 40' of DC wiring has to be huge to only have a 3% voltage drop.

After switching to LED headlights, the voltmeter lowers some, but stays in the green. Good luck!