You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade

As another BB user I would have to agree with the above comments. The most important factor to consider is how will you use your coach? The same approach goes to considering solar panels. The longer you plan to be unplugged will be the deciding factor on how many batteries.
I'm somewhat surprised your coach has 2 inverters with only 4 batteries. Unless it was designed to use the engine alternator to provide power through the inverter(s) to run your air conditioners. And this would only apply while driving down the road. Most all of us use the generator to run the air conditioners and rely on the house batteries to power the fridge and other stuff.
Unless you need to replace your house batteries now I would evaluate your usage for a while. I would strongly recommend installing a Victron BMV712 or other SOC (state of charge) meter. Your inverter(s) may have one already. That will allow you to see just how many amphours you will use overnight and in a 24 hour period. I could give you a WAG but it could be high or low and could cost you more or less when buying batteries.
That being said I love my BBs and am glad I bought them for our Alaska trip last year. However, for our typical usage going forward they are somewhat overkill. Very nice for the few times we dry camp but unnecessary for typical usage where we are driving with or without the generator running if air conditioning is needed.
The biggest usage will be for your residential fridge and that will use anywhere from 100-150 amphours by itself. The other usages will be water pump, lights, radio, charging laptops & phones, fans, etc. that you will be able to control.
One thing about BB and other Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries is they are frequently called "drop in replacements" for lead acid batteries. That is true in the sense that the physical size is similar and they have a negative and positive post but they do need a different charging profile. Not difficult to do but it does take some design and thought.
None of this is to dissuade you but to help you in deciding what you want and how to do it.
Search this forum and you'll find a few discussions on installing the BBs and others. And ask questions here on the forum. There is quite a bit of knowledge here and helpful folks for you to bounce ideas off of.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Messages In This Thread
Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade - by OurNewelllife - 07-21-2020, 06:29 PM
RE: Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade - by Richard - 07-21-2020, 08:27 PM
RE: Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade - by bikestuff - 07-22-2020, 05:38 AM
RE: Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade - by folivier - 07-22-2020, 03:07 PM
RE: Lithium Iron Phosphate upgrade - by Latitude 28 - 07-22-2020, 06:08 PM