You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

On our first camp out with 746

Hey all I know this may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

The site we are on is not totally level, I'm in travel mode with slides out. (I'm sure most of you have hwh systems but just in case I'm posting here)

The valid panel shows we are level in travel mode but Im checking with my trusty four foot level and we are leaning some to the drivers side, its noticeable to me.  I was thinking that maybe I could go buy a 2x12 as a way to try and get the front on that side level.

What do you guys use if in that situation?

Thanks un advance

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

I put it in level mode and if it is still out of level, I manually level it. You can adjust the point that the HWH system thinks is level by adjusting the three screws holding the leveling sensor hanging from the top on one of your bays near the center of the coach until level on the HWH matches with your 4' level. While your slides should be put out and retracted while the coach is in Travel Mode, there is no  benefit to not putting it in LEVEL mode to level the coach. After the coach is level. Shut down the engine and turn the leveling off again so it doesn't try to auto-level every half hour or so.

I use several 24"x24" outdoor plywood 3/4" thick under the front tires of my coach at home because the driveway slope exceeds the travel available to the HWH system.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Travel mode = the coach is sitting at the correct ride height. If the ground is unlevel, the coach will follow the ground. Also deploy and retract slides in travel mode. Always!

Level mode = ability to inflate or deflate air bags to level coach with the horizon. The coach will not likely be at correct travel height when in level mode. Do not extend or retract slides in level mode. In level mode it is very possible to induce a twist in the coach frame which can bind the slideouts

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

He has a Valid system like mine. He sent a picture and it was helpfull to the discussion. His front driver side is low during "auto level" and the chassis says it's in twist.
1) either the DS front bags don't know to inflate which is a sensor problem
2) they won't inflate, which is a soeliniod problem, not knowing to change from "travel" both front wheels have equal pressure and same height to "Auto level" independent height control of each front wheel.
3) they are trying but there is a leak at the bag
4) It has exceeded the ability to level due to that one wheel being too low (8"-12" ? or so) lower than the highest corner

So how much lower is the front DS wheel than the highest wheel ?
Can you deflate that highest corner (and any others) under "manual"mode to get it closer to level before adding wood below the tire ?

just got a text and it sounds like Valid help out

Carthan, how did you resolve this so we can all learn ?

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Thanks for the replies guys, DK told me to call Valid, thankfully I had my four foot level with me and Don walked me through the "0" sequence. Once we were level in manual mode we set the system back to where it recognizes true level again.

So many things to know and great to have a bunch of guys to help us newbies.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I’m interested in what was involved in the “zero” sequence. Can you share?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hey Bill, I can forward the pdf that was sent to me. It only took about fifteen minutes or less.

Do you have valid?

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

DK, I was under the impression that while in travel mode tbe coach was "level" so I was just used to leaving it like that. What I learned is that you use manual mode to set each corner by holding down the "manual" button while adjusting each corner as needed. Then you turn the system off, back on and then hold the on button till it beeps, press the lower front right button once and it will lock in the new "0" level setting. Hopefully I have explained it correctly. It was much easier while Don at Valid was walking me through it. I'll see if I can figure out how to post the pdf

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Travel mode keeps the coach at a constant ride height from the road so if the road/ground leans to the right, the coach will be leaning to the right the same amount. In Level mode, the coach attempts to level the coach by changing the distance between the frame and the each individual tire so that the floor of the coach will be level even if the ground is sloping to the front or back or right or left.

Imagine your coach is on a concrete driveway that is level side to side but on a incline so the pavement at the front of the coach is actually several inches higher than at the rear of the coach. In travel mode, the distance from the ground to the floor of the coach over the front tires would be equal to the distance from the ground to the floor of the coach over the drive wheels. In other words, the floor of the coach is parallel to the driveway even though the driveway is not level. If you change to level mode, the front airbags would release air, the rear airbags would inflate, so now the coach is level with the horizon but certainly no longer level with the driveway. The floor of the coach now 'feels' level even through the front appears to be squatting and the rear appears way up in the air if you look at the coach from the outside.

The leveling procedure you described is to be used when you are in level mode but the coach is still not level. That electronically sets what is considered level for the floor of the coach when in level mode. That should rarely need to be done and should only be done when the coach is on reasonably level ground to avoid twisting the frame.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com