You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Newell generator blower mystery

On my '87 that box between the blower and bumper contains my heater and ducts.

Mine contains the 3 heater/ac blower motors.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Yes , the speaker is in there,  along with hoses , valves , something that looks like a pump , AC dryer (I think), etc . Three years and still discovering things !
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Fixed the dead short from pinched power supply to the genny blower motor, and replaced the broken pot metal belt pulley. Cant figure out how that happened as belt alignment was right on.

Last week replaced lead acid 8D batteries, ( all four ) 2 house 2 engine with agms. Used a local battery company instead of Orileys. I regret that decision. Made it very clear that I needed post type batteries, and got button terminal batteries. Battery shop is "making it right". 7 days in waiting for that to happen . Waiting for brass adapters to arrive. If he drops me in the grease, I will have to have a local boat shop make 8 new battery cables. Good thing we are stationary for 21 more days, Replaced converter with a new one just for the heck of it.

Now I am back on the genny again. I will attach photos that show worn shaft bearings. Looks like they self align on the shaft. Have any Gurus replaced these? My only limitation ( aside from being inept ) is I do not have a welder available to me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The Timken RCSM 1 ball bearing works fine. I removed the old Oilite bearing by prying it out of the rubber holder with a small screwdriver and then prying the rubber holder out. I then polished the shaft to remove any rust. Next I pressed the new ball bearing assemblies into the bearing holder on the fan with a C-clamp aided by having sprayed the exterior of the new bearing with some WD-40. It would have made the job quicker if I had paid attention before disassembly as to how the fan was positioned side-to-side inside the housing. The rotor now spins far more freely than before.

Depending on how your fan is positioned in the compartment it may be possible to install these new bearings without removing the fan housing from the coach. It would be easier to keep things in alignment if the bearings were removed and replaced one at a time, but it would also make polishing a little more difficult so you may need to assess the extent of rust on the shaft.

It's a pretty easy job requiring minimal tools and now I won't hear the thing go "bump" in the night.
Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Guy this is a post from Jon Kabbe @77Newell who found a bearing replacement for the worn out bushing. The other option, although more expensive is to replace the blower with a direct drive model. Many of us have done it with success. And its a lot quieter !!!!!!!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm on a roll this year,  but all the items we are doing have been on our to do list for a while  Not much else to do without a stix and  bricks  home during these times. The blower is mounted in the left corner of the compartment,  flush with the bulkhead on the left side.  I like the idea of a self contained blower. I think I will pull the blower out today,  and take my mind off the fact that I have new agm batteries with no means to hook them up.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Just in the category of small world, Rhonda and I are in Souix Falls today, previous home of your coach I think.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes. In the same category,  last fall we were in Sioux Falls.  Within 10 minutes of crossing into the city limits I got a text from Todd Flickema the prior owner asking if we were in town.  His brother saw us on the interstate.  We all went out to dinner,  and Todd and Dawn got a look at their prior coach. I wish they would redo another coach,  but they are now into classic Volkswagens.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Todd is a good guy. We donated the HT 740 transmission to your coach, hope it's still working for you.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thank you for the donation! Had the transmission serviced  at 25 k miles.. All good .If we could just talk Todd in another coach.  This one was not all that kind to him.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59