You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Retractable Entry Step Failing?

Tip For The Day... Now I Know...

The boss called to tell me the retractable entry steps would not extend fully. When I got home and started investigating, everything was moving freely but it seemed like the 12v motor could no longer fully extend or retract the steps.

And now “The Rest of the Story”...

Earlier in the day I had been working on the chassis/engine battery cables and used the battery disconnect to isolate the batteries. When I finished my work I didn’t reconnect the batteries (ground cables) to the coach with the disconnect switch.

The retractable entry step motor was getting the battery + power but didn’t have a solid - ground. It was pulling a ground from some other part of the coach but wasn’t enough to operate the step motor properly. Turn on battery disconnect... all is well.

Simple solution but this is one of those things that can cause lots of headaches on the path to a solution...

Take care!

JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

We have a problem our step is not completely extending. I’ve  been looking at the dirty side
The problem is the mechanism is old and worn (like me), has anyone had luck finding parts?
If so where.......thanks for the help

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Can you take pics of the unit? I’d imagine the parts are available but additional info is needed.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

George,

That is your standard garden variety Kwikee Step. That should get you started in parts or total replacement.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...wikee+step

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

George,

We recently had our step not extend and in fact collapsed inward when I step out of the coach.  Found the motor arm assembly attachment bolts broken.  Once the bolts broke the step would not extend fully and in fact bound up when acuated due to the way the arm articulated. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6597.  

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Thanks For the help Richard
I’m about 3 short days away from KY
Maybe the parts will be waiting for me

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

i made a test plug with six foot wires on it. one that plugs into the step and the one that plugs into the coach. that way i can unplug the step, plug in my two test plugs and test voltages and insert voltages. often the controller is bad and more often the mechanical pieces are broken. i have replace many of this parts on units on mine and other coaches that have been here at the shop

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

On my 42 year old classic coach, after removing the original motor and electrical box from my kwikee step, (of which I chose not to upgrade as the original parts are not available) I figured a simple way to solve the problem. I installed a 12 volt dc 12” linear actuator to the pin that connected the original motor to raise and lower the kwikee step and connected the base of the actuator perpendicular to one of the spars running parallel to the coach to the step location. I then installed a dpdt switch to control the dc reversing action of the linear actuator. It takes about 20 seconds to fully extend or retract the single step. I could have purchased a faster action linear actuator with a higher duty cycle but based on the fact that the only time the step would be extended or retracted would be when the coach would need to be moved, then once or twice a day would be at most when traveling. I purchased all the parts on Amazon and probably spent about 30$ to 40$ total not counting the wire which I already had. It was an awesome thing to hear the hum of the actuator move the step manually in or out. But don’t forget to raise the step before you drive off. I’m thinking about installing something like a microswitch with an led light on the dashboard to remind me to retract the step before I drive. Anyway, Maybe I’ll use the $$$ I saved for diesel or a gift to the better half for being such an awesome gal putting up with me for 30 years.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)