You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler 86 40' #121

I bought our 86' 40' with a 8V92 DD. Some previous owner removed the muffler and routed the exhaust straight out the back. Way too loud for my taste! I see the mounting brackets for a muffler. That part looks straightforward.  How was the exhaust routed originally? Did the tailpipe exit the side of the coach? Double back and exit the rear? Pictures would be great!

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

Here you go .1984 8V 92. Just had a new muffler put on this spring. . I think at one time it had a resonator running where the straight pipe is on the bottom of the coach, before it makes a 90 degree turn and exits behind the rear wheel. It is fine with just a muffler. Not head turning when you leave the toll booth or the KOA campground. I had the muffler work done by a truck shop. All stock off the shelf parts, with a little welding. About 600 dollars if I remember correctly.
Regards,
Guy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Tim ,
   Our 86 has the same muffler and turn out as Guy has on the 84 . I replaced the system from the turbo pipe out . Sourced Automann muffler from local truck shop as well as a used chrome stack that I was able to cut and use the turnout and straight section to finish the system . Also new clamps and flex pipe for the vertical section in the compartment . Welded straps on the muffler to connect to existing mounts via reinforced rubber from M/T slick .
Pictures when I have a better internet connection .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Thanks so much! Just the information I needed.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121