You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Inverter ?????

Hi all, so just noticed something strange. Up to now we have had no issues watching the tv with the inverter on. We were in the coach last night and none of the TV's would come on. I checked to make sure the inverter was on (switch above micro). It was but I Sent ahead and flipped of and back on. Still no TV. So I Sent and checked the inverter itself and It was powered on. Fast forward to today. I was plugged in to shore power and all of the TV s function properly.So I Sent back over to the  inverter switch and flipped it on. As soon as I did this, the TV's shut off. I don't know much about inverters but this does not seem right. inverter

any ideas,

Merry Christmas

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Were your 12 volt lights all working when the tv wasn't? If not look for a "salesman switch" maybe near the door. This cuts 12 volt power off on lights and some other things inside the coach.
Was your ignition key on? There is or was an interface to disable the tv when the ignition is on. The tv would probably plug into that box that plugs into a receptacle.
Just a couple thoughts.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

What brand/model is the inverter? Check for an overload reset on the inverter.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes 12v lights work with the inverter on
Ignition key not on
Not sure of inverter brand (not at coach right now). I did try to reset the overload but it didn't make a difference.
The other thing I thought of since my first post was that when I was plugged into shore power, I also noticed that the 110v lights in the bathroom turned off when I flipped the inverter switch on. I'm going back over tomorrow to poke around on it some more. I'll post some updates tomorrow night.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Look in the same bay as your inverter and see if there is a separate gray breaker box, make sure that breaker is on.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Was at the coach today. The breaker was on.
Had a buddy with me who knows more about this stuff than me. Not hard since I don't know anything. Anyway he thinks the inverter is no longer with us. There is 12v power coming in but no power going out. So before I send it off to its final resting place. I thought I seek one more round of guru input. It is original to the coach (92) and I don't know how long they should last, so maybe it's time. I don't need a big one as I only have 2 house batteries and I'm really not using the inverter all the much. So if I have to replace, it what recommendations do y'all have.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

I installed a Xantrex Freedom 458. It's not very fancy but it runs my refrigerator, TV's and microwave off from (2) 8D batteries just fine. It even has a battery temp sensor. You should be able to find one for less than $1000.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Go pure sine wave in any case.

A few of us have Magnum MS 2812, and have had good service with them. That may be overkill for your needs.

Keep in the back of your mind, if you have any concept of going with a residential fridge in the future.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard made a good point about refrigerator. My 1993 Newell has the original residential style 120V Amana fridg. The Freedom 458 runs it fine but is NOT a pure sine wave inverter. I think I remember a comment here on the forum about newer fridges requiring the pure sine wave inverter as do many newer electronic items.That would certainly favor a pure sine wave inverter.

I just installed an AIMS PWRIX120012SUL 1200 watt inverter with transfer switch. Super pleased with it. Big Grin
I got it off Ebay ( about $300, new in the box ).
Pure sine wave.
It runs my residential fridge with no problems. It is super efficient. I wired it up with 1/0, for minimal losses. When running the fridge, the case doesn't get hot, barely gets warm. Smile

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740