You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Camp ground Etiquette

Just looking for some opinions and insights.

Most camp grounds have quiet times. They vary, but in general 9/10 pm to 7/8am. Sometimes i want to get an early start, but i am always concerned that i am going tick off the others. As you know, we don't have quietest engines, plus you got to give it time to air up, etc.

I'd like to know how the rest of you feel about this.

Thanks

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

If I am leaving at the crack of dawn, I don’t level, and I pull the slides in the night before. I don’t idle for more than a minute before I am rolling.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I am the same way Tony. We've only had our Newell a few months but leaving early has been my MO for a long time.
More than a decade ago I read in a magazine (probably Motor Home) about this topic. The article said that if you must leave early be prepared the night before by packing up, bring in the slides, unhook the hoses, etc. Be ready to go. If you can, hook up the toad. When you start off, drive away as quietly and quickly as you can. Don't let the engine warm up 30 minutes while you have your coffee!
My additional thoughts and questions here. If we run our aqua hot on electric and preheat the engine overnight, this should keep engine warmup time to a minimum. I only left the electric power hooked up overnight. Driving away before full operating temperature would be done in an easy manner. Starting the generator could be done once we've left the campground.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

i must admit i have to give the hockwald/olivier/mccloud school of thought on this. prefaced by saying the first time i did a long trip after retiring i ended up traveling with the hockwalds and the oliviers. i was used to driving from dawn to dusk and seldom stopping and covering as much ground as possible.

then when traveling with them, we left mid morning........we stopped at every rest stop......never more than 100 miles or so....sometimes sooner.....

then we knocked off early to mid afternoon.

it drove me crazy at first....

now darlene and i like to travel 250 miles or less a day and be in an rv park not much after lunch.

so, my smart alec response is......sleep in, drive slowly, enjoy the scenery, stop often and settle in for the day while you have time to enjoy where you have stopped at.

thanks to clarke and forest for patiently teaching me this......ha

as our dear friend wally who has since passed said when we traveling with him in his classic newell.......thats my two cents worth and i am sticking to it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Big Grin 

What Richard said. Unless you have a really bad air leak problem this should solve your dilemma...

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

I play by the rules. Whatever the start of the day quiet hour is I’ll honor. I’ve really had to learn to slow down and not be in a big hurry. After years of working hard slowing down was a task.

Dale
2013 Newell #1472