You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HCV diagnosis

Hello everyone,

So I have a LOT of various dilemmas right now in glorious Yoakum, TX. One of those dilemmas is my driver’s side will not raise while in Travel mode.  I can raise it manually from the panel just fine. When I raise it up and then go into travel mode, driver’s side sinks back down.  I can see the armature for the HCV and it is very obvious that it’s getting pushed correctly by its distance to frame.  Since travel mode allows the HCV to exhaust air from the bags I believe the travel solenoid is operating properly.  

The way I understand the HCV is as follows:  Supply air flows into the Inlet on the HCV. The “delivery” side of the HCV connects to the appropriate travel solenoid. When the travel solenoid is energized it allows air to pass freely from the related bag tanks to the HCV. This connection between solenoid and HCV allows the Valve to directly adjust bag pressure mechanically at the HCV.  When the solenoid is not energized, the HCV can’t get air into or out of the bags. 

This makes me think that inside the driver side HCV, the dump side is stuck open. Allowing the air to flow back out at the same speed it goes in.  Is there a way to really confirm this?  I’ve been stationary for about 3 weeks and this wasn’t an issue before now. I’ve got a road service guy coming next week to change out my rear and tag air bags. I’d like to have what I need in hand to get going again. I have a couple of weeks before I head to Atlanta for work.  Since I’m full time, old 419 needs to go with me.

Troy and Kenda, Coach #419 “The First Prize”

Hi Troy,

You have a correct understanding of the relationship and operation of the travel solenoids with the air bags.

I would do a number of diagnostics.

One, crank engine, raise coach, turn off engine, turn key to ON position but do not crank, make sure coach is in travel mode. Run to driver side and listen.

Another guru is having exactly the same issue as we speak because the cold weather is causing one of the rear air bags to leak sufficiently enough the coach won’t remain at ride height.

Second, and don’t do if you are not comfortable. Slip partially between the drive and tag tire. Look at the top of the drive axle and you will see where the vertical arm for the HCV connects. It’s a grommet that slips over a little knob. Wet the knob with some sort of lube and slip the vertical arm off the knob. With the coach running and in travel mode, move the arm up and down to check the operation of the HCV.

Is it cold where you are? You could have iced up the small orifices in the HCV.

Why are you changing the air bags? Known problem? Generally time to replace? Some other reason?

You can call me at 817 223 2056 if you would like.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )