You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No Start

On Monday March first I became the owner of coach 132, which was built in 1987. I picked it up in Kansas and was heading to Kentucky. I spent the night at a campground in Sullivan, MO and a fellow camper was looking at the coach and noticed I had a wheel seal leak on the tag axle. He suggested a nearby truck repair shop. I left it with them to do the work and asked them to check out a couple of other needed repairs. This was on March 2nd. Here it is the 19th and they still haven't fixed the wheel seal. Now they claim the coach won't start and I don't know when they will get around to looking at it.

I have two questions.

First, does anyone know of a reputable shop that will work on these older buses?

Second, are there any start issues that I should look at first? The prior owner said he never had any start issues. I am going to replace the chassis batteries, but where do I go from there?

Thank you for your advice,

Glenn

Seems they let the batteries run down. I would check your batteries for age, maybe they need replaced anyway, sometimes it’s good to have a fresh start on batteries. If the batteries are not to old I would try to jump the batteries enough to get the generator running and put a big battery charger on those batteries.

I have had the same issues before from shops. Been my experience, they will push off coach work and work on bigger clients fleets etc. before they get to your coach, not always the norm. 

My only success is to visit every day or very regularly to get them to start working on it. This is not a big job, usually done in a day easily.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Thanks Johnny for your response.

I know the chassis batteries need to be replaced and asked them to do that. But they haven't done anything and I'm over 400 miles away. Read in one thread that some of the coaches have a primer pump near the fuel tank. Do you know if Newell put them on coaches back in 87?

I would be headed to MO

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Sorry for your mechanical problem. Sounds like you are dealing with several small issues. We also had the leaking wheel seal issue after purchasing our 1984 and getting it on the highway. May just be from the seal getting firm from lack of movement, and it was a quick repair for us, but we too had the procrastination of a mechanic. Our brake shoes  had become oil soaked from the seal, which had been seeping for some time. The good news is the seal and related brake parts were common to many other vehicles, and were found at Fleet Pride nearby.

When our batteries were weak, they would not hold a charge for more than a day or two. I don't know how much information you received with your coach, so please take no offense to the following. Each coach is custom , so yours may be different . The coach probably has two sets of 8D batteries. They weigh 130 lbs each and are available at O'rileys auto and many other places, sometimes with a 1 or 2 day delivery time. When starting off with new batteries, I was advised to replace all of them at the same time, as 1 bad one can bring down the rest .Two of the batteries are for starting the engine, and two are coach batteries, for the water pump, interior lights, etc, and also will power some 120 volt devices when the inverter is turned on.   Both sets of batteries have master switches near them that can completely disconnect them from the coach. Comes in handy for storage of the coach for long periods of time. There is a battery merge swith on the dash that can be used to electrically tie the coach batteries and engine batteries together to aid in  starting. Most owners do not leave this switch in the merge position, only to help starting with weak batteries.

We do have an electric fuel pump, which I did not notice for several years, even though our coach has  a dash switch clearly marked. I have not used it, even when changing fuel filters, which the gurus have told me to do 1 at a time, to avoid loosing prime. Maybe I am incorrect on the use of this pump ?

Your generator might be able to bring your batteries back to life enough to get the heck out of that shop. Your batteries may not be able to spin that Detroit engine, but might be able to start your generator. You are not the first coach owner who had to extricate his rv from a shop that had little interest in doing repairs.

Many other "classic" owners are on this site who have a lot more knowledge on the subject than I , and will likely chime in on this .  Good luck

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

First off , congrats on your new to you coach .  There will be challenges , it's a shame you are encountering issues on trip # 1 .
Won't start : it has been my experience that if the batteries are anywhere near full charge the engine will start right up .
Did the shop say if the engine is turning over with the starter ? I agree with others that the chassis batteries are probably down . 
If the engine is turning over , but won't start , then it's probably a fuel issue . I do not believe that to be the case as it ran well previously and I don't think the fuel system would lose prime in less than 3 weeks . The only fuel issues I have had : once I didn't start the engine for 3 months and the stop lever (on the governor) was stuck , and last year when I made a mistake with new fuel/water separator and cut off fuel flow . There is no primer on the '86 , nor auxiliary electric pump . 
Back to basics , low batteries . On our coach there are two 8D chassis ( start ) batteries , one on each side , just forward of rear wheels . The switch for chassis batteries is in passenger side engine bay , good idea to switch off when parked for more than a day or so . 
There are four deep cycle " house " batteries on driver's side  , aft of front wheel . If these batteries are in a good state of charge you should be able to use the merge switch on the dash to help the chassis batteries . As stated by others , if generator will start you should be able to charge the batteries ( provided there is a functioning charger , ours in electrical compartment ) . Again , merge switch will need to be on to include chassis batteries . 
 Consult voltmeter on dash , there is a switch for battery condition . Not advisable to attempt to start if voltage is low , can damage starter /solenoid . This goes for main engine as well as generator .
 Best case , slide new 8 D batteries in there if possible ,make sure they are fully charged before engaging .
Shop . One option is Bus Grease Monkey ,Scott Crosby in Tennessee . He doesn't have a building on his new property as yet , but does have a concrete pad and has been doing wheel and brake work , suspension , engine tune , etc . there for awhile . He does a lot of Greyhound , MCI , Wanderlodge , etc and Newell Classics seem to have similar running gear . Scott and his son work hard , get jobs done .Suggest looking at his videos on You Tube for consideration . 
Keep it simple , coach likely just has low or dead batteries . Get that sorted , Detroit running and roll out of the truck shop .
Good luck !
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I just realized it may be cold where your coach is . I have found it beneficial to use the engine block heater when temperature is much below 50 degrees . Getting the engine up to 70 or so makes it easier on everything. Switch on our '86 is on bottom side of cabinet over the bed , 2 or 3 hours will usually warm all the Detroit iron enough for easy start . I think ether is to be avoided except as last resort

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Thanks for all the good advice. I know all the batteries need to be replaced. I will change the chassis batteries when I get back to the coach. OK, I need some advice and I know this is a hard question to answer. I have lived fulltime in an RV for the last 24 years traveling as speaker at churches and conferences. This means I have to have a dependable coach. Always wanted a Newell or Prevost but they have always been out of my financial reach. To be honest, I am scared that this coach will be a money pit and a huge time consumer, something I don't have enough of either for this coach. So I am considering selling it and have a man that will buy it cheap. Any thought on getting rid of it or on keeping it. I love the look of the coach and with some updates the interior would be nice, but it's the mechanical and electrical that has me scared. Any thoughts you can call me if you want.

Glenn
209-678-5808

Glenn Meldrum, 1987 coach #132

You are correct. This is a hard question to answer but I'll give it a go....
I offer this as a man of Faith.
If you sought Providential guidance on the purchase and are clear with that leadership I would suggest seeking that same leadership on selling it.
If you had a totally dependable coach for the last 24 years that may be the route you should take for the next 24.
An old Newell will require maintenance but my experience has been that they are dependable and much safer than newer units that were built to a "price".
Do not make your decision out of fear of unknown problems. Do the basics that you know need to be done now ie. batteries etc. Take your time. Think....pray..

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks HoosierDaddy for your spiritual insight into the matter. My wife and I have been praying about this and are working our way through it all.

Glenn

Glenn Meldrum, 1987 coach #132