You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8v-92 temp sensor

I remember seeing posts concerning temp sensor on 8v-92. I'm wanting to read temps from each head seperately. Can anyone direct me to a thread discussing this? I have tried to search with no success.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

@"encantotom" may be able to help. Back in his two stroke days I remember him installing probes on both heads, and going to some length to ensure the read outs were accurate.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

" i added one on my f350 and on the 90 that bill has now. it wasnt hard but it was ALOT of work. the biggest pain was getting another pair of wires up to the dash from the turbo. then all you have to do is find a place to mount the gauge and to weld a collar on the turbo pipe and drill a hole (carful not to get shavings in the turbo....and screw in and mount the sender." Tom
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=1706

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The way I read it, he’s talking about having temperature senders in each cylinder head with two independent water temperature gauges to monitor each cylinder head temperature. Maybe he can clarify.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Watched a UTube video yesterday from the bus grease monkey, where he is repairing a Bluebird Wanderlodge with an 8V92 that lost the power in the drivers side head. The thermostat for that side of the engine came apart, restricting coolant flow, making toast of half the engine, while the other half was pristine at tear down.

Can't help nut think that a temp sensor in each head might have saved a bunch of cash.

Bus Grease Monkey works exclusively on 2cycle Detroits, lives is a  WW 2 era Greyhound bus,  is self taught, and seems to have quite a following.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRB2tZqVOwk&t=78s

Don't know if I did the link properly.

Regards,

Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Yes , That is my concern. Separate thermostats for each head can lead one side overheating. I would like to monitor coolant temps on each head. The link worked !!! Thank you, Guy. My grandfathers name was Guy. I always think of him when I see your name on your posts!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

After an in-frame 25K overhaul of my 8V92 a few yrs ago after we just purchased it and after speaking with Tom and Richard, I installed FOUR temp gauges.  I replaced the original analog gauge on the dash with a high quality digital gauge and VDO sensor.  I added another digital dash gauge/sensor for the other side of the engine using one of the extra wires Newell provides from the front to the back of the coach.  So I have 2 digital dash temp gauges.  They are always within 1 or 2 deg. of each other.  I also installed 2 mechanical gauges (with capillary tubes) in the bedroom.  (One on each side of the engine.)  There were plenty of plugs to allow for replacement with the sensors.  The sensors are all located just below the thermostats.  Yes, I'm paranoid.

I am interested in what temps you see with your digitals running at cruising speed in summer time, and max temps you have seen pulling hills etc ?

Regards,

Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I too follow Bus Grease Monkey , so when I saw the temp thread I knew what triggered it . I think sensors / gauges would probably be a good idea , albeit one that requires some work . I have to believe that the water temp in the entire system was elevated , but it maybe not to the point of alarming the driver . I am going to review the coolant path .
In any case the affected bank of pistons were smoked . Looks like the head survived without cracking , a big plus . Not sure I would do one side only , but it's not my decision nor $$ . 
Scott works hard , knows Detroit two strokes .

Just read Dave's post , now I want to install more sensors /gauges !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Guy,
We haven't done any mountain driving since I installed the new gauges but normally the temps are between 160-170.  When I was driving up some Tx hills last summer and the outside temp was in the 90s, the temp only got up to 176 on both gauges.  Please keep in mind that after the overhaul I replaced the typical 180 deg thermostats with 170 deg thermostats.  That may have been a mistake as I realize now that you want the temps to get somewhat high occasionally to burn off the oil contaminants.  I'm thinking since I change the oil annually no matter what, that will not be an issue.  Also, after the overhaul, I had the radiator recored.  I also clean the radiator regularly now.

Regarding the temp sensors for the dash gauges: I first installed Intellitronix gauges and had to use one of their 1/2"? bushings for the sensors. Those gauges were never stable and one would be erratic while the other was stable etc.. I noticed that the temp probe for the sensor was mostly inside the bushing when installed and so the probe wasn't out in the water stream very much. For that reason I replaced them with Dakota gauges and VDO sensors that didn't require bushings. The VDO sensor probes are well into the water stream and not covered up like the Intellitronix probes were.