You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Painting Slide roofs for 55 degree temp reduction

Hi All,

Thought I would share an upgrade I just performed on my coach slide tops which is worth a consideration.

For those of you who are lucky enough to have one of the older all white coach paint jobs this upgrade may not be advantageous. However for those coach owners who have a paint scheme that includes a dark color that extends to the slides top surface this may be a useful modification.

My coach (1223) has a paint scheme where the top half is quite dark (Dark Metallic Brown) and the lower half much lighter (Tan). This dark paint is placed on the roof area of the slide resulting in a noticeably hotter interior temperature of the slide ceilings vs. the central ceiling area which has a white roof paint applied. 

Temperature readings on the slide roof last week (April 3) measured 177 degrees F and showed a 5 to 7 degree higher internal temperature when compared to the central ceiling area. After painting the top of the slides with a bright white paint the white surface read 122 degrees F and the interior surface reading reduced to a comparable temperature as the central interior ceiling a deduction of 5 to 7 degrees F.

Overall the interior temperature appears to be much more comfortable reaching a much lower temperature during the hottest portion  of the day. Presently pushing over 100 F by noon.

The paint I chose was the new Rust-Oleum Universal Advanced Formula, Satin White paint and primer in one. Heard good things about it and it appears to be quite tough showing no degradation when walking on it but still cleaning up easily with alcohol. I masked off the areas where the air seals contact the slide to avoid any sticking of the seal or degradation to the rubber, see Photos attached.

I will report back on the paint once I can form a final opinion.

Best regards,

Mike

2008 Newell #1223 4 slide, Cat C15 with ZF 12 spd, 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Duramax 6.6[Image: thumbnails.php?album=143] Toad for fishing. 

Thanks for posting, seems to be a great idea.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

That's a smart and interesting option Mike.  I'll be interested to learn how it weathers.  I'm in need of restoring the clear coat on top of our slides so your post is timely.  Thanks.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer"