You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Buying and Driving Coach#650 across Country

Hello Everyone,  I'm not completely new but its been a while since I had the pleasure of learning, cleaning and then translating everything Newell to my father who was and is the actual owner of both coaches. #506 around 2016 and tomorrow hopefully coach #650 a 2003 quad slide. Since he's not the best at forums but I know how just how valuable they can truly be offering an insight to a family behind the coach I wanted to reach out and say hello again.  And after spending last couple weeks trying to comb through so many of the threads about cross country journeys and what to look for in a new purchase etc. - wondering what insight or knowledge could be provided about that coach if any.

Or if anybody has made the trip from west to east coast lately - traveling from Portland, OR to SC.  Decent / cant miss stops along the way for a couple gear heads just heading backs towards the wife and kids.  Leaving Portland Tuesday 4/27 if all goes well. 

The coach has been in controlled storage for close to 15 months but was taking to detail a few miles down the road a couple weeks ago. Other than that, I don't believe it has seen much road time in last couple years.  I plan to purchase new tires in Portland before starting the journey because old ones are just dated out. But my biggest other concern was to how to do a pre road / journey checklist.  What would you consider to be most important before hitting the road ? 

Thanks again for any and all advice!

Spenser and Karoline Fossell
Prior owners of 1999 Double Slide Coach #506
Future owners of 2003 Quad Slide Coach #650

A good place to start would be a DOT truck inspection checklist. U could find one online. My coach gets inspected annually by me or the shop that does my mechanical repairs. The tire shop may offer that service as well.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I would make sure the coach has good batteries & excellent tires before making the trip.

I have taken your trip. I took 84 east out of Portland to Salt Lake City. 80 east to I-25, south to I-70 east. At St Louis take I-55 south to I-40 east. Then depending on where in SC take one of the interstates south.

Good luck............................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tires, good start. Do plan on stopping after a hundred miles or so, and having the lug nut torque checked.

Unless you have records of last oil change. Head to Speedco.

Absolutely grease the u joints on the driveshaft.
Check fluid levels in wheel hubs and differential.
Undercoach inspection looking at air bags and hoses.
Inspect the drive belts on the engine.
Check the fluid level in the tranny.

Buy a few fuel filters, a gallon of ATF for filling them, and any tool you need to change them. Who knows how old the fuel is, and what beasties may be lurking in the tank.

Are you planning on stopping in Miami on you way back? Air bladders around the slides may need some attention.

Where in SC? That is my home state. Go Tigers!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

great advice. richard, i was wondering what you meant by dropping by newell to pay some attention to the slide seals.

could you give a little more to what you meant there?

thanks

tom

congrats on the new to you guys coach. was the reason to have more room inside to upgrade from the 2 slides to 4?

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Check the brakes and wheel bearings. Having a caliper hang up will ruin your day...

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

What I was trying, albeit poorly, to say was if the slide seals show abrasion or weathering, then Miami is not too far out of the way on the way back to SC. No need to go to Miami just to have them look at the seals.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Spencer, Congrats on the new coach. I live in Columbia, SC and made a similar trip back in Sept. of last year. I flew to Twin Falls, ID and picked up #300. I had a very tight window so I didn't have a chance to make many stops on the way back. Basically stopped for fuel, food and sleep. Looking back on it now, I think it was kind of crazy. Although I had spent quite a lot of time on the phone with the owner, and I felt comfortable that he was being honest with me, I still had no way of knowing what I was getting myself into. Fortunately, everything worked out and I made it back without a hitch. 5 days (2,350 miles). I think Portland is about 400 miles further . To be on the safer side, I cam back across Idaho, Wyoming and Nebraska to avoid some of the higher elevations in the Rockies. Then headed south to get the rest of the way home.
I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home.
Where in SC do you live? Would love to see your new coach.
Take care, Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Is this a 1,000 mile a day trip or 300 miles ? Either way, it should be fun. I hope not to exciting.

Smart tire move. No sales tax in OR.

Since your a gear head, I won't explain the details, but for me:

Fuel, check for water in the tank at the low point. drain and inspect before travel. Make a judgement on its quality. I second Richard on the oil and fuel filter changes at the start. Be prepared to change fuel a few more times. Algae, if present, is a pain to wash thru.

Belts. get a replacement set.

Secure the coach up with blocks/stands and drain the air tanks. There are several. Another Guru with a similar coach number can tell you how many.

I second the DOT pre trip check list.

Lastly, have an Uber or Lyft account as a last resort to get "dead on the road" back up and running

Congratulations.

Keep us posted, we all learn from each others experiences

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Put Newell's 24 number in your phone. They are terrific in responding to on the road emergencies and break downs.

Carry a credit card with a large limit. Nothing says I care about you more than access to funds to pay for emergencies. (Half kidding as I have only had one breakdown that I consider major, ie missed up my schedule, turbo blew out a seal and cover my toad in oil got in El Paso stopping every 40 miles to add a gallon of oil.)

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com