You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vintage manual Newell air leveling valves.

Big red button and four smaller valve actuators, one for each corner. Mike Ellis says that it was a Newell in house valve body used before they outsourced to another vendor part for automation in the mid 80s. 
Has anyone used this system and how is the best way to use it properly.  I’m putting together a parts kit for o-rings etc... any information you have would be appreciated.

FYI,  I included a picture of the part.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Try again on pic.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I finally got the picture to load

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Ok, no experience with that, BUT the systems share some common operating concepts.

Couple of questions for you. If you look underneath that panel, are those knobs hooked to air lines or electrical wiring?
If you open the passenger side engine door, do you see an octopus of valves mounted on the forward wall? If so, can you post pics of that.

I am going to make some assumptions, and that is dangerous. Please confirm when you try this.
I believe if you pull the red knob up, it will enable you to add air to the air bags, and if you push it down it will enable you to let air out of the air bags.

So, for grins pull the knob up, and activate the two front buttons. Does the front of the coach raise? By the way, the engine must be running or you must be hooked to shop air for this to work, otherwise you won't have enough air pressure to do anything.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Ok, no experience with that, BUT the systems share some common operating concepts.

Couple of questions for you. If you look underneath that panel, are those knobs hooked to air lines or electrical wiring? No. They are connected to air lines.
If you open the passenger side engine door, do you see an octopus of valves mounted on the forward wall? If so, can you post pics of that.yes,

I posted l a picture of the firewall air configuration although I have seen some of your photos and they aren’t as elaborate on the gallery

I am going to make some assumptions, and that is dangerous. Please confirm when you try this.
I believe if you pull the red knob up, it will enable you to add air to the air bags, and if you push it down it will enable you to let air out of the air bags. 

Yes I believe that is correct. If I pull out the red button, it allows for adding or releases of air to the air leveling bags. But if I push in the red button, I’m assuming that the bags will return to their normal travel Mode automatically??? Or must I measure distance between top of tire and top edge of wheel well?  That I’m not clear about.

So, for grins pull the knob up, and activate the two front buttons. Does the front of the coach raise? By the way, the engine must be running or you must be hooked to shop air for this to work, otherwise you won't have enough air pressure to do anything.
      If I pull the red knob , I can either push and or pull the individual corner buttons to either add or release air to the bags. I will confirm when I return to the coach and get you a photo too.

I want to thank you in advance for your valuable expertise.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Sounds like you already figured it out. UP with the red knob for leveling, down for travel mode.

Here is a quick way to confirm that Down on the red knob is travel. Pull the red knob up to put the coach in leveling mode, and let the coach all the way down as far as it will go. Now, with engine running, push the red knob down and observe if the coach returns to travel height.

You should not have to set the travel height manually.

The one thing you should be aware of on the manual systems is you can twist the coach and pop out the windshield if you activate only one wheel at a time.

So for side to side leveling use both front and back simultaneously. For front to back, use both the front or back knobs simultaneously. HWH recommends leveling side to side first, then front to back. Depending on how picky you are, it may take two iterations.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Hello Richard
Ok I’ll try that. Although the red button is a push pull actuator just like when the parking brake is activated (pull out) and deactivated (push in). Travel mode is pushed in and to level or manipulate the bags is when the red is pulled out. I’ll confirm this. ( Or vice versa).

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Richard, on my gallery is a picture of the simple air system you referred to. It also shows the criuise control dashpot with a line going to a cutoff valve. It is in the off position. Could that be why my cruise doesn’t work?

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I have absolutely no idea on how air operated throttles of that vintage and cruise controls worked. Sorry.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

After trying the push pull method of inflation and deflation of the airbag system... I now know why they invented the travel mode button... it seems mine is totally manual. I’m sure I’m doing something not right to acquire the proper balance for the 4 corners.  But I did find out that a button on the floor 8” forward of the steering column activated a solenoid mounted overhead in the cabinet where it seems the air line comes in to supply both the air brakes and the air leveling valves. When depressed, it dumps all the air quickly on the dashboard air gauge. I presume that the use for this is when leveling one should start from deflated to increase whichever side or end of the coach up to level.  I’m still scratching my head on this one. Mike at newell said travel mode for the (big red button) was the same position as the parking brake (pushed in to travel). But still I have to manually inflate to level before travel. But some have said it should automatically return to level when pushed in to travel mode... but in the in or out position it still waits for me to either increase or decrease pressure in the air bags. I think I’m explaining this correctly. But I have much room for error in this matter.  I know that there’s not very many of these 4 way push pull manual valves around.  I definitely appreciate your guidance.

Richard, I’m going to try your suggestion tomorrow to let the coach all the way down tomorrow and then see if travel mode reinflates. I’ll let y’all know what happens.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)