You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Second key switch on dash?

Has anyone ever seen a second key switch on Tha cockpit control panel? Please see attached photo (also photo 12 in my gallery) and see the unmarked key switch next to the steering wheel just below the oil temperature gauge. I have the key and have tried both positions left and right. Nothing actuates to my knowledge from what I can tell. Any ideas or historical information as to why it would be there and what it would be for?  I haven’t traced the wiring from it yet. I appreciate your comments.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

At about that position, our coach had a switch to activate the electric valve wHich would dump sewage water on the passenger side. It was quite a surprise. Does you coach have sewer dump valves on the traditional drivers side and also on the pssenger side?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

So Mike we have to teach you how to post a pic in the thread.

At the bottom of the thread you will see Manage Attachments.

First, select Chose Attachment. Then, find the file you want to attach. Then select add attachment.

If you want it to show in the thread, select insert into thread. It will insert where the cursor is placed.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard you are awesome!!! You were reading my mind. I’ll try that.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Ok, I looked for a dump solenoid and listened for a solenoid clicking. But not had much luck. I can’t imagine why a second key switch was installed. I’ll try tracing the wiring and see where it goes. If y’all think of something. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I have two ideas... Both long-shots! If u have Murphy switches it may be a by-pass , or a switch for a burgler alarm.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I was thinking of the burglar alarm because the round cylinder lock on the passenger side forward of the door key is missing and one wire is disconnected. But we shall see.

I googled Murphy switch. It’s possible that the PO who replaced the 555 with the 3208T may have used this like a bypass of some sort.... one of the factory keys does fit it so I presume that it is oem and still wired into the system. . Anyway, I’ll see if I can trace down the wires.

Guy, I’ll look tomorrow and see if there is a second dump location. That would be awesome if there were.
:-)

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Update... I finally got the safe open and found the round machine key for the alarm on the exterior storage door forward of the entrance door was found inside the safe. (And No there weren’t millions of dollars in bearer bonds my son had dibs on if we ever got it opened.....but Geraldo Rivera did call to check up on the progress... but I missed the call .... dang...). Still, no idea about the second key in the dash. Will have to trace that down later. No secondary dump location on passenger side although the tank has threaded grey and black 4 or 5 inch pvc cap entry for access on the passenger side of the grey and black water tank. I presume single steel tank, dual compartments. (For redundant access maybe??).
:-)

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike,

We have a 1984 Classic that has the original (now non-functioning) ignition switch on the dash and a newer, functioning ignition switch on the steering column. A previous owner replaced the original steering column with an tilting, shorter one and installed the column based ignition switch and relay at that time. MY BIL (Clarke of What's Newell fame on this site) has a 1982 that has the ignition switch in the dash.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Glenn, in your 84, what is your rpm at 60 mph? And do you run 22.5 tires?? Thanks in advance

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)