You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dometic refrigerator lower door hinge

Hello all. 
    My Dometic refrigerator lower right door hinge mounted to the door frame made out of molded plastic has crumbled. Upon closer inspection, it had been repaired once before and I didn’t realize that when we purchased the coach last month. Has anyone else had the same type of issue with the dometic refrigerators? A Norcold 8 sq ft RV dual model was original in the classic coach and replaced in 2005 or so with this dometic. If I remember reading in the guru forum that Newell started installing residential refrigerators in the newer models in the 90s?? anyway before I get out the JB weld or trying to manufacture a bracket, I thought I would see if anyone had any successful suggestions for repair. The fridge works well otherwise. Thanks in advance. We appreciate all your information.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

You might try an RV repair place that would possibly have an old on in their junk pile that you could get to replace your hinge.

I replaced the Norcold 8 cubic ft refrigerator in my 1992 with an apartment sized 10 cubic ft residential refrigerator. Fit in virtually the same space. I did have to trim the edges slightly to get it in. The replacement was much less expensive than buying a new RV refrigerator. However, if you can get a replacement hinge, that would be by far the easiest and least expensive alternative.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Mike, now I have options.

Do I need to utilize the inverter circuit if I use an apartment unit?
I haven’t even confirmed if my inverter works yet. That was on my todo list.

cc, I made some phone calls today to no avail but I’ll keep trying.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike, If you can post the model and serial # of fridge I might be able to find a hinge. A pic would be helpful as well. My buddy owns. National RV Refrigeration.
www.fixyourfridge.com

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.