You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Who pays?

We are going into negotiation on a coach. It's a consignment. When the coach is received by the sales agent, it is inspected for issues and items that need to be repaired prior to sale. My assumption is that the owner of the coach placing it into consignment is on the hook for those repairs. It's also quite possible that the cost of repairs is added to the price of the coach before it goes out the door. Am I off on this? Is it handled differently? Any insight is very much appreciated. I've never purchased on consignment so this is somewhat new to me. 

Gary

You as buyer should only be paying the negotiated price. If your negotiated price includes some items to be repaired that you or your inspector found prior to the sale then that's up to you and the seller. Either he'll pay for these fixes or come down on the price. Or he won't.
So the listed price is your starting point. Don't assume that everything is working and has been repaired. Some consignment places are more comprehensive than others. Just as some owners take better care of their coaches than others. Good luck!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Everything is negotiable in the deal including walking away. Still, leave 10 to 20k in your piggy bank to bring the coach up to date

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Another question. Is it common that the sales organization will release the name and contact information of the owner of the coach on consignment so that I can contact them to discuss the operation and history of the coach while they owned it? Or is this considered off-limits to ask for this?

Some will, some won't. Ask and hope for the best. Newell used to give out some of that info but don't think they do anymore due to privacy issues.
Look at the last 3 or 4 digits of the VIN. That is the coach number that Newell uses to identify each coach. Either post it here or PM Fulltiming (Michael Day). He has an extensive list of coaches and might be able to tell you who the original buyer was or current owner.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thank you for the response. I've been chatting with him offline and he has been very helpful in that regard. I feel very comfortable about the coach in general, not it's simply down to numbers.

Sorry if this is getting imposing...but one question always leads to another. Let me ask...the sales organization will be inspecting the coach. The financing agency is only requiring a cursory inspection of the coach that will look for damage, validate the VIN, obvious stuff. They say that I am responsible for a third-party "full service" inspection if I want one, but they don't require that as part of the financing. My instinct is to find an inspector to go look at the coach and not to rely on the sales organization. Any thoughts?

It's always in your best interest to use an independent inspector and not rely on the sales organization. There are a few places that might be trustworthy but they are few.
If you'd like to post where the coach is located there may be a guru nearby that could look at it for you. Not a full inspection but mostly an experienced eye, also the year would help since they range from simple systems up to very complex in the later years. You could also ask Newell if they have someone they recommend. It's important to find someone experienced and knowledgeable about Newells since they do have many unique systems.
Paying for an inspection might seem expensive but could save you from expensive repairs while you own it. Engines, transmissions, slide bladders, air bags, generator, appliances, can all be costly to repair or replace.
One other question: do you plan to do your own work on the coach or have a shop do it?
I'm sure you've heard this if you've spent time on the forum: condition is everything.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I don't mind posting the location at all. The coach in question is #695. It is incoming to Premium Motor Coach in Gilbert, Arizona. I have the coach under a fully refundable retainer pending all the routine stuff prior to sale such as inspection, negotiation, etc. It is was just at Newell for new flooring install and some other things. I'm being told Premium will receive the coach next week. We live just a few hours from the Newell plant and visited there recently, but didn't see this coach on site. But weren't able to tour the plant that day. We have since spoken to a person there about the coach. All good.

i live in the phoenix area and if you buy it you are welcome to come and visit. i have a full 50a spot you could spend a nite at if needed.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

GEmry,
Congrats on targeting a coach. Hope negotiations have a great outcome. How did you hear about this coach? 

Regards,
Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car