You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2005 valid slide bearings

So, I know there are not many 05 and later threads here so I will post what ever issues I find with my coach. 

I have had the coach for a little over a year and still have a hard time believing I am buying one, I say that cause making payments mean you are renting it until it's paid for in my opinion.

I have had a issue with my number 1 and 2 slides on the drivers side. They tend to be a little jerky if you will. After talking to Travis at Newell I was advised to try and add some zert fittings to get the bearings lubed up again.

The bearings used in my coach are not like the newer style which I think are enclosed and self lubing. Each slide has eight bearings, four on the slide room and four on the chassis. The come at a cost of 329.00 each, so to replace them all is about 3k for each slide, plus labor to install. I think it's close to 5-6k per slide if one wanted to replace them all, I don't fall into that category.

It is important per Newell service to exercise the slides a few times a month to make sure things work smoothly, this is really needed if you are in a humid climate.

I have gone through all the records that came with 746 and indeed the bearings have been replaced a few times. My goal is to try and revive the bearings but freeing them up from any rust and ensure they can have greese added to them on a regular basis.

Okay so my idea is to spray a light coat of white vinegar to the bearings and then add the zert fittings to start applying the needed lubricant at which point ill start working the slides in and out multiple times to get a smoother tracking.

For some strange reason, the driver sides appear to be somewhat worse than the passengers side.

At this point I can get the number one slide to go in by manually moving the bearings inboard with a large breaker bar and wood block, I don't advise beating on them with a block of wood and hammer. The  culprits are the two slide side bearings at the midship that attach to the slide room. In a way I'm kinda glad I had this issue know as it helped me locate the correct fuses that blow if the slide doesn't retract or extend all the way. You have to look at each situation when dealing with your coach as a learning experience.

I have learned that I need to have at least a bi-weekly schedule to extend and retract the slides. If you don't do this expect to be heading to the desert between January and April in California or to Miami OK for service.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Mods sorry I should have posted this in the slides thread.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

i have a really hard time believing that the bearings are 100 percent proprietary and no avail on the open market. almost any bearing is avail if you know the specs on it. what would be nice is to get ahold of one and measure it.

as for replacing them, i have no idea as i have not seen where they are. does the slide have to be lifted up and supported to be able to get them out? hmmmm i know someone who has a slide cart.

329 dollars for a bearing seems crazy to me

sounds like an investigation is in order.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Valid slides are totally different from HWH.  They are supported on the sides by a series of rails that ride on bearings kinda like These (Made by INA / Shaeffler) ….

I have a couple of spares that I probably get part numbers from.

You do not have to support the slide to change out a bearing.  It is a matter of unbolting and sliding the bearing off the rail and replace with new one.

The reason that these bearings fail is that they use tiny races to hold steel ball bearings in a oval track.  There is a tube that keeps the balls in the right position and when rust develops….the tiny little balls wont go in the tube.  The next noise that you hear is the race blowing up and lots of ball bearings falling inside the side wall.

Mr. DLC is correct.  You really need to keep water away from the bearings and use the slides on a regular basis.  Also, I believe you talked to Tracy (instead of Travis). Tracy knows more about Valid slides than the Valid folks.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

wow. nothing simple about them. too bad.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill yes you are correct Tracy, didn't mean to butcher his name. If you have the extra set could you take a pic of the end? This is where I'm supposed to put those grease fittings. I'll pm you my email address.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Bikestuff,

We're you able to locate those valid slide bearings?

You mentioned not having to support the slide.
I'm not sure I'll need to replace anything at this point but I'm interested in knowing your experience on the matter. If you don't mind dm me your number I'd love to talk to you about it.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I got the email…but am away from the coach (two hour drive) will take pics this weekend. Can you see your bearings? Green ones are newer (last ten years)…grey ones were original.

I have gotten mixed answers about zerks on these bearings. In my case, you would have to take half the room apart to get to the zerk.

Ps. The zerks fit on the end of the bearing half way up.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bikestuff,
Ok thanks. I do have at least two that have been swapped out to the "green" ones. The others are oem grey.

Are these spares for your coach or ones removed?

From the looks of the bearings they look pretty specialized to fit the zbars. I don't "think" I'd be able to find a replacement other than from valid.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Hi Guys,

Just replaced 4 bearings on my P2000I 2007 #1218 INA bearings available here in the UK, (made in Romania) £123.00 each not too bad to change , even when the old bearing pack had broken both plastic ends off and lost most of the balls from the track for quite some time (all well rusty)
THEY ARE NOT A VALID PART

#1218 in Europe based in the UK