You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

starlink internet

starlink low orbit sat internet is something us rural folks have been waiting for.  and soon to be on airplanes and mobile for rv and truck use.  

i signed up on the waitlist last year.   and to my surprise i got my setup about 2 months ago.  

where i live there is no cable, fiber.   i have a phone line and used dsl for the first year or so but i was getting 1-2meg down.  and slow up.  

then small local companies started doing point to point wireless out here.  i used one and it better than dsl.  but has slow capped upload and i have a home server and lots of security cameras.   no goo

changed to the other local wireless company and it worked good for a couple of years.   a lot of intermittent outages and speeds went between 5 m to 50 m depending on time of day.  

now comes starlink......better than nothing beta as they call it.  they tell you it will have outages and even give you an app that helps you position the dish and tells you how long of outages and for what reason.   

i typically get outages of a few seconds to a few minutes averaging about 5 minutes a day.   much better than what i was getting

now for the upside.......i typically get around 25-50ms latency and on average about 100 -120m down and 15-30 m up.  today i had one speed test that was over 300m down.  

for 500 bucks you get the dish, the tripod (which i used until i mounted dishy on the pole), a starlink router, power brick for all of it.  

the dish and router are POE.  

we ran a shielded 75ft cat 6 cable from my equipment room to our grocery store room where the cable from the dish comes in from outside.  did have to put a hole in the wall and you can see i put a hot water heater disconnect box (i took all the guts out).....well, forest put it on....

got a schedule 40 galvanized  2 3/8 post and put it 30 inches in the ground.   it aint going anywhere.  

ran 1 inch liquidtite flex conduit from the dish to the house.  to run the cord in.  buried it about 6 inches deep.   had some young boys come over and dig the hole and trench....i aint no dummy

the dish is poe powered and rotates and moves in elevation to find the sats.  it even has a heater to melt snow and ice.   not a problem here as it was nearly 120 here today.  

they claim they will be doubling the speeds within the year.  

so, i know those of you in the city this is not something you will use, but for us country folks this is amazing.  and soon to be for rv's too.

i pay 99 a month for service and no caps.  

i was paying nearly that for much less service.  seems that rural folks pay more for less when it comes to internet.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

one of the things that starlink does that was restrictive is that you cannot access anything inside their router. if that is an issue you can use your own router.

the other thing is that they use ipv4 and a dynamic ip address and do not allow you to open any ports.

there is a way around some of it by using a vpn.

tom

A timely post for me. Our son lives right next to us and installed Starlink a couple months ago. His experience is very similar. I’m being offered fiber optic but they want $1500 to run the cable to my house. I’m wondering how adaptable starlink will be for the RV … Would I need a seperate system and additional monthly charge?
Thx Tom

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Tom: Have you experienced any of the “thermal shutdown” being reported on many forums (goes into thermal protection at 50*C [122*F] and won’t reset until it’s back down to 40C [104F])? Would seem to be a limitation for summer use in large parts of the SW.

Jim

my dish is in total direct sun all day.   it is mounted on a schedule 40 galvanized steel  2 3/8 inch pole about 8 feet in the air.  you could cook a hot dog if you zip tied it to the pole on a hot summer day.  

this week has been extremely hot here in the phoenix area.   

the picture is in our palisade driving on thursday.   120 degrees.  

i am sure the antenna in the sun is getting warmed up more than ambient.  

i have had no internet outages more than the ones for a few seconds that is normal with the better than nothing beta.  

one of these really hot days i will get my thermal gun and get the temp on the dish.

so far no issues.  and i hope it remains that way.   we have yet to hit the hot part of the summer.    

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)