You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach inspection

We have placed a retainer on a 1999 Newell #521 in Sun Valley, CA, and were looking for someone that could do an inspection on the coach for us.  If there is someone that could help with that or if you know  of someone that might be able to help, please let me know.  Although we have owned Motorhomes for over 35 years, this is our first Newell.

Jerry Knapp
1999 Newell Coach #521

Congrats. Glad to have you as a member of NewellGurus.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

you ask a common question that we rarely have an answer to. most inspectors are not familiar with newells. and then finding one in general is tough.

there is really two kinds of inspections in my mind. a mechanical one of the drive train and chassis and then one of the motorhome things.

for instance, if someone was looking at buying a newell in the phoenix area, i have one of the best bus mechanics in the west that can do an inspection mechanically. but.,..he doesnt do coach systems. drive train wise, some like to do fluid samples. that eliminates the thought of major engine or tranny repair. that said the series 60 and allison are really bullet proof in almost all cases.

i and many of the gurus get asked to inspect coaches. i usually decline doing that, especially if it is at a dealer. because the last thing i want to do is not find something that is needing attention and have a guru upset.

what i tell folks that are buying one locally is that after they buy it, they are welcome to come spend a day or two at my place and i will walk through the coach with them. most do not take me up on it as they are in a hurry and then i often get a flurry of calls on their trip home.

these are complicated rigs. if it is from a dealer, ask them to go through it as much as they will. if from a private party, ask alot of questions and you can often get a feel for how much was done to it.

of course newell does these types of inspections and you can expect to pay several thousand for it with them. if you are near them.

i know these are not the answers you wanted.

i had a 99 that i sold last year. i had gone through every inch of the coach and replaced or repaired everything that it needed before i sold it. i treated it like i was buying it. hopefully yours is like that.

i will email you my phone number if you would like to chat

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom. Yes, I would appreciate any time you have for a visit.

Jerry Knapp
1999 Newell Coach #521

What Tom said and if you would like someone to give it a once over before pulling the trigger check your email. There is a guy out of L.A. that does remote work for Newell in that part of the country.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Thanks Brad

Jerry Knapp
1999 Newell Coach #521

After flying out to Sun Valley and taking a look at #521, we decided to make the purchase.  Since the owner had passed away, we decided to go by Tom’s “Oasis in the desert” and take him up on his offer to help us with our new coach.  What a great decision that was.  Not only did we get to benefit from Tom’s invaluable knowledge of Newells, we enjoyed time with gracious hosts and new friends with many common interests.  His wife, Darlene is a master seamstress and has an amazing sewing room that was a plus for my creative wife.  Although Tom is in the process of recovering from knee replacement surgery he took the time to walk me through our new to us coach and explain the function of every switch and system and substantially reduce my “new owner” stress level.  Although being able to purchase a Newell was a great experience, getting to spent time with Tom & Darlene was by far the highlight of our trip.

Jerry Knapp
1999 Newell Coach #521

Hmmmmmm, he secretly disables most coaches so the guests cant leave.

Good on you for stopping by Toms. Welcome to the forum, lots of help here for your vintage coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Congrats!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

jerry,

we so much enjoyed getting to meet and know you and your wife.  

you have a beautiful coach.  

tom and darlene.

richard.....if they didnt have to be home in time for something important, you are right, their coach would not have started saturday morning.....ha     just like hotel california.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH