You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Puzzling Battery Disconnect Polarity

I am replacing a failed engine battery manual disconnect switch. The faulty one is on the positive side of the batteries. Everything I read says it should be on the negative side. Any idea why Newell put it in the positive side? Perhaps it is someone's after market modification but the house battery disconnect is also on the positive side leading me to believe it came from the factory that way.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

Our '86 also has both battery disconnect switches on the positive side . I would think it was born that way . Presume you have  two 8 D batteries for starting , one on each side forward of the rear wheels ? Switch for those mounted in passenger side engine compartment .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

this is a very interesting question. and if you do research online you will get a long variety of answers. my 02 has them on the negative.

for instance the for a long time, the NHRA mandated them on the positive side. alot of marine builders do positive side.

others have discussions on current flow direction etc.

when i put a new magnum inverter in my 99 i put a positive cut off switch at the inverter making sure all lugs were 100 percent covered.

i think one of the reasons the cut off switches have moved on the newell to negative is just safety. there is a thought that if it was on the positive and there was a crash near the switch that it could short to ground.

when i was putting the 6 agms in my coach i had a helper. on the very last terminal connection of those mazes of cables he had the wrench touch the side of the coach. at that point all the amps from 6 8 d batteries shorted. he screamed, it arc'd, melted a chunk of the wrench and left a nice black mark and mild burn on his hand.

also use common sense if you change the cables on that cut off switch. to make sure that there is no current to them.

bottom line is cut off switch on positive or negative, either is ok. with caveats

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

btw, what has puzzled me on my 99 i had and the 02 is that the positive cables from the batteries to the inverter were hot all the time. that is why i put a cut off at the inverter just in case of needing to work on the inverter.

tom

Interesting to say the least. Wondering now if the logic is to leave the negative connected so that the batteries would charge even if the battery disconnect was thrown since the inverter is always connected?

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

Tom, Was there a fuse or circuit breaker in the positive lead to the inverter?

As for shorting out the battery - with the amps an 8D can deliver - I am extra cautious when I'm anywhere near the battery terminals !

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

no cb but there is a fuse.

tom