You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

FOAM UNDERCOATING REPAIR

I've noticed a few places where the foam undercoating has been knocked off.

My inclination is to buy the high-expansion foam at Home Depot and then spray it black, but not sure if it's durable enough or compatible.

Anyone know what Newell uses?

Thanks

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I use the stuff from the HD or lowes and paint it black. It holds up well. You will need a foam beak to install it on vertical and upside down surfaces. Look up foam beak on amazon.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

THANKS, Richard...I'll give it a shot. And thanks for the Beak tip...tip, too! ;-)

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I have no idea what Newell used, but . . . . . .

I used the canned instant foam on mine and then painted it black. So far, so good. Had plans to apply some bed-liner to it, but haven't done that yet.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Thanks @"kyleb" ,

Yeah, Rinocoat would be awesomely strong. However, my bet is the insulation foam plays a huge role in reducing noise.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

i have to get in on this one.

years ago when i had my 90 newell i was replacing some of the sprayfoam insulation in the walls by the drivers and passenger front seats below the windows. i had a buddy who had a spray foam insulation and roofing company. he gave me a 2 part spray foam setup to do it with. each cannister was about the size of a 5 gallon propane tank and then it had a hose, spray gun and a handful of nozzles. he gave me some that were partially used as i didnt need all that much. now to the rest of the story.......

he told me it was like 50 to 1 expansion and cured in a minute or so. so be careful on how thick you spray it and dont stop as it will cure in the nozzle. so i did a sample spray in a cardboard box, thought i was prepared and went inside and sprayed each of the walls that i had exposed and cleaned the old insulation out of. after spraying once, i thought....that cant be enough. so sprayed again.

after i finished inside, i thought to myself....i have a bunch of foam insulation on the bottom of the coach that needed filled in. so i quickly crawled underneath and sprayed the areas under the front and in the wheelwells etc. it worked great.....except i made a crucial mistake.

i was in a tshirt and had my glasses on. i didnt have the foresight to have a disposable suit on and goggles. the fine mist settled on my arms, hair, face and glasses. i never got it off my glasses if i remember and lets just say i didnt end up with as much hair as i started with on either my arms or my head. but i had nice insulation now.

and on the inside the insulation was about a foot thick on the walls. at least you can cut it off easily with one of darlenes serrated bread knives....dont tell her.

that said, there are ways to get the same kind of stuff
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Touch-n-Foam.../204352574

happy 4th of july

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Man. That’s funny stuff…thanks for sharing!

I like the idea of “spraying” instead of a fan nozzle that you have to almost contact the surface. The bottom of our rigs don’t lend themselves to “level” application.

Gotta check that touch n foam out.

UPDATE: argh, terrible reviews. Sounds like it may be a real headache…or even hair-ache, as you mentioned. Guess I better stick with the regular stuff and a nozzle.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

In looking around, my thought is that this stuff needs to be closed cell foam so as to not absorb moisture.

I found some CRC stuff, minimal expansion though at 50%
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013I...0DER&psc=1

Hmmm

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

the link to home depot is not what i used. you can find commercial closed cell foam on insulation sites. i was just posting an example.

and yes you need closed cell foam.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Great. I HAVE found that Home Depot has closed cell versions.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA