You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A week at Newell, and 24K spent there

I just returned home from Newell, and spent all of last week there getting the 365 upgrade on both the steer and tag axles. I was the first to get the tags upgraded, like the newer coaches have. While I was there, the radiator had to be removed, and repaired for a leak at the seam gaskets. I am ordering a AirSafe Hitch for my coach tomorrow. If anyone has any reviews on them, let me know. I have had problems finding a 9 inch riser hitch that I felt safe with. Newell has the lowest to the ground hitch that is on the market. I saw some coaches, when I was there, that had steel rollers mounted under the hitch, which would help the dragging problem. I am slowly, but surely getting the bugs out of my coach, if I don't run low of funds before I finish. I must say, that it drives, and handles like a different machine now...

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

john,

wow, you went to town. you are sure right about the hitches. i have the humongo racing trailer hitch on mine and it is really low. i found a heavy riser, but all i pull is my car.

i did the 365 on the front and it is nice.

now you need to come join us in south dakota this summer.

thanks for the update

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi John,
A friend of mine uses the airsafe hitch with his coach to pull his stacker and has had goodluck with it so far.
I've been curious, what modification is needed to upgrade the tag axle to 365? I know the non zf axle like mine bolt right on and I have contemplated changing when I get new tires but wondered about newer coaches.

the biggest expense is the rims. the tires are actually a few bucks cheaper.

why do you need to do the tags?

tom

For me it's more of a piece of mind. The tires run cooler and are rated for faster speeds. I know Newell's do not have the same problem as Prevost but I have seen many with damage from a blowout due to the tag. I guess it's just worth a little more to be on the safe side.... Same reason I put the 365 on the front.

They have to do the same thing as the front, on the tags. I have blown the side off of a couple of Prevosts, and I run the speed limit wherever I go, and I think it looks better as well as allowing more mph safely. I think Newell knows it has a safety problem with the 315's on the steer. because they are only rated at 18K, and the front axle weighs more than that. That is probably the reason they are pushing the 365 upgrades. It may come a time when the DOT makes them recall that application. Maybe they will give me a refund if they do (wishful thinking)...

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

This might be a small advantage but with 365s on the tag you could rotate the tires every year and maybe get a little better support out of them.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

I understand the reasoning and need for upsizing to the 365 tires. What's involved in the upgrade? Wider Rims? Any axle or steering modifications? What else needs to be done to install the 365 tire on a Newell? I can see about $2K for new tires and rims.

I'd appreciate knowing what the total costs would be for someone looking to buy a Newell that has not had the upgrade done?

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S Sold

2000 Wanderlodge LXi N/S Sold

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

hi,

i did the 365 upgrade on my fronts. the rims were 1100 for the pair (and i sold the old ones for 300) and the tires through the michelin program were 672 each plus mounting and balance.

on my 02 there were no modifications required. they just went right on.

so it totaled about 1100 plus 1344 for the tires for a grand total of 2444 minus 300 = 2144 plus whatever mounting and balance was. i think i traded the old tires for mounting and balance.

tom

I spent 2895. and i did not need any modifications.done at Newell

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border