You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1983 Classic - No Brake Lights

Hey Folks,

Hope this is the right place for this.  I'm not stranded or anything but it's a little urgent, because tomorrow is my last day up here in Winston-Salem, NC with the coach (I live about 4 hours away) and there is just one more thing I need to fix to get it ready to move back home.  Brake lights.

I have checked the tail lights and the turn signals and all of them work fine, so I think all the bulbs and relays at the back of the bus are okay.  My next suspicion was the brake switch, but I can't seem to locate one to save my life.  I've heard they were under the dash but I could not find anything under there that has air going to it that also had wires coming out of it.

From what I can tell, this thing has had a lot of years of people who don't know what they are doing, messing with the wiring.  There are wire nuts on the 12V stuff, taped up wires, bare wires, melted wires that have been re-run - you name it.  It's a little scary to be honest, but I need to get it home so trying to sort out as much as I can.

Does anyone happen to know where the brake light switch is located on this thing or have a general theory of operation on the wiring?  I really wish I had a wiring diagram but that is probably wishful thinking.  Smile

Thanks all,

Wil

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

Not sure I can help, but I would start by looking at the chassis fuse panel, likely in front of the passengers feet. If so, check the fuse for the Brake Lights. Are you testing the brake lights with the engine running? Just because the tail lights and turn signals work doesn't necessarily mean the brake relay in the rear electric panel is working so check that. On my 1992, the brake relay has a black with 1 white wire. The brake lights is a blue wire. In the front chassis fuse panel the brake lights is yellow with 1 blue and on the front terminal panel brake lights are black with 1 white which goes to the relay in the rear brake relay, and the brake lights is yellow with 1 blue which likely goes to the switch.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

When I had my '81, there was some weird connection between the emergency flashers and the brake lights.  When I first bought it, I had the same brake light problem and went through everything you are going through now.  Finally, I realized that the last time I used the flashers the switch was not pulled out or pushed in all the way (not sure which it was) even though the flashers were off.  When I firmly (pulled or pushed) the flasher switch, the brakes worked again!  Thought I'd mention it just in case...

It was a long time ago but I’m thinking my 78 Newell had a brake light switch that was activated by air pressure from the rear axle brakes. It was located on the frame near the axle.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Information from '86 , likely similar .
Brake light : yellow w/1 blue .
Front terminal #3 .
Not sure about switch location , possibly in overhead , driver's side if not under dash . Also look in left front corner , valves , etc in there .
Brake light should work with engine off , but there must be air pressure in the brake system .
I red air hose to the switch.                 

Meant to type : I think it's red air hose to brake light switch .
Good luck,
Hope everyone had a great Fourth !

And front terminal /fuse panel in front of passenger seat as Michael pointed out .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

One more thing, do the emergency flashers work ? In a pinch one could use flashers when stopping ?

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Thanks for all the info guys. I’ll start by trying to find the flasher switch and test that first. Maybe I’ll get lucky and that will fix it, if now I’ll start the search. I’ll let you guys know what I find.

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

So as usual you guys rock. It turned out to be the hazard switch. It was half way out. Out is hazards off. So I turned them on to make sure they worked and they did. Then I kinda worked the switch a few times and turned them back off. Hit the brakes and wham! Brake lights! Hope to be bringing this thing home this weekend. Thanks again all!

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

very cool. glad you figured it out

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for reporting back!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.