You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Intake Question

The air cleaner for my DD 8V92 just pulls air from the engine compartment. Should it be ducted to the screened opening shown in the picture? If so, does anyone have a picture of how Newell did it? I am thinking a piece of 7" aluminum semi rigid duct might be the ticket but would like to see how it was done if at all originally.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

The screened opening on you Newell was likely added by a previous owner. I have not seen another Classic Newell with that opening. That opening is smaller than the opening on my air filter but if you used semi rigid ducting to get the air to the air filter vent, as long as you leave the remainder of the filter opening accessible to air from the louvers in the bay door, it might bring a little cooler air in. If you do something like that, make sure there is a way for any water than might come in through that vent to get out before it gets to the filter. You certainly don't want a wet air filter.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Good points. My air filter has a 7” opening. I have no idea if it is what was there originally. The hole in the coach is also 7”. I wonder what the original filter looked like. I’ll post a picture of mine

The rubber adapter slips over the turbo suction stub.

Your filter looks like mine , but I have two 90 degree adapters that go from the side of the filter into the turbo " hump " tube . Air comes in where yours has the tube fitted . Sounds like someone eliminated the plumbing , turned the filter 90 degrees and connected it right to the turbo . 
I'll post pictures this evening . I'm thinking the filters are designed  to take in air from the end , exit to the engine on the side . I could be wrong , perhaps they work either way . Eco filter .
Chris

Just noticed your exhaust exit is different as well .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Your air filter looks like the one on my 8V92. Air enters on the bottom, or side if rotated 90 degfeez, and exits on the end. Mine is a 1992.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Pictures of #89 air cleaner and plumbing .                

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Same as our 1984, with the exception the "top hat" for the intake is missing.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

This first photo shows the screened air intake opening on the '81.  

This next photo shows the setup in my 87.  The intake faces outside the same as it did in the 81.   Should I rotate the intake 90deg forward or backward to keep the rain out?  Would changing it have any effect on the engine performance?  Why did Newell design it this way on both of them if it could be a problem?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting...Looks like your '87 set up affords better access to the air valves , etc and easier filter removal. Maybe a bit of ram air with the louvers ?  Where does your air compressor intake connect ? Mine connects to the metal tube connecting the 90 degree bends .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand