You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Mechanic needed in Indianapolis

Needing a referral for a diesel mechanic in Indianapolis.  8V92 spools up at idle like it should, when transmission is engaged, engine will not rev passed 800rpm, not enough power to roll forward or backwards.

First off I don't live near Indianapolis and I cannot recommend any mechanics. Secondly, I'm not a diesel mechanic. The only thing I can suggest is try changing the fuel filters. I had mine plug up a few years ago with algae from sitting all winter without fuel conditioner and only a partially filled tank. It ran fine at low speeds, but would barely pull a small hill on the highway. Long story short I made it to a diesel mechanic who showed me how to changed the filters and the problem was quickly solved. LMK if you are uncertain about how to change the filters. The main thing is to fill both filters with diesel before replacing/installing them. Then run the engine at high idle for a few minutes after you get it started. Good luck.

Alan and Tami Kaiser
1986 Classic #20
8V92

As Alan said , I would try fuel filters first . Change primary , start engine and run it at least until it smooths out , then change secondary filter and repeat . There should also be a fuel /water separator in the vicinity of fuel tank with a radiator type drain . Be careful as the bowl is plastic and fragile , drain off some fuel , look for water .
What year is your coach? 
Another thing you can look at is the throttle linkage at the engine , make sure it moves freely and responds to pedal movement . Will engine rev in neutral ?

Mechanic : Bus Grease Monkey is from the Indy area , moved to Tennessee where he works on a lot of Detroit two strokes with his son . He has videos on You Tube as well as a website . I think they still travel to work , you might reach out to them . Scott Crosby and Tyler . I can send a link if needed .
Again , it would be helpful if you include your coach year model and number if possible .

I notice you mentioned engine would spool up , that would indicate throttle movement .

I notice you mentioned engine would spool up , that would indicate throttle movement .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Our 1991 8V92 did something like that and it was the air filter. We did the fuel filters to no effect. Then we changed the air filter and all was good! We now carry a spare air filter.

Good luck!

FromDirt's coach to be is a 1991.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

A 1991 will have either J1708 or J1939 diagnostics. Might be a good time to invest in BlueFire for Motorhomes or VMSpec.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad