You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Owner

Hi Guys,
I just sold my 2020 Leisure Travel Van Unity TB and bought a 2008 Newell with 108k from Motorhomes of Texas. We are having the leather replaced with ultra leather. I believe the previous owner Mike was pretty prominent on these fine pages. I would now have his unit which I consider a good thing because he knew what he was talking about. Hey, any advise, comments, jokes or whatever are welcome. This is our first "A" class having moved only have our B+ class for 10 months, so I hope the size thing works out. Any suggestions for road tripping in an A class would be appreciated. I know it will be different. Any suggestions for spare parts, or specific know how needed for the the Newell are welcome. About us, we learned that as we left California the people became nice, the roads great, and journey meaningful. Life became an adventure. I now believe that anyone who sits at home is rotting. Life is about challenges and challenging yourself to learn new things daily. That is what I want to put out there.. Please sound off!

New owners of 2008. It is still at Motorhomes of Texas getting it's Leather upgraded. Formerly owned 2020 Leisure Travel Van Unity. Based in San Mateo and Houston. Looking forward to making friends on these fine pages.

Welcome to the forum! I have a good friend that has the same unit you just sold and he tells me it gets 18mpg. Your new purchase won't even come close, look into a TSD Logistics fuel card. https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/ Many of the members here have them, can save you up to 60 cents per gallon, you don't have to go inside for authorization, and you can fill from both sides.

Welcome to the other 47.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Howdy and welcome to the group! You might consider adding a picture to your profile and a signature line…
You will get all your questions answered here as there are many great Newell owners lurking around in the shadows.
Hope to see you on the road!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks. I tried to. I could not find where to upload a pic. I will give it another go right now.

New owners of 2008. It is still at Motorhomes of Texas getting it's Leather upgraded. Formerly owned 2020 Leisure Travel Van Unity. Based in San Mateo and Houston. Looking forward to making friends on these fine pages.

Ah, got it! There you go. Pretty good looking eh? And the lady looks good too.

Hey, here is the new one we are picking up in September. If you can suggest any upgrades I would love to know what they are. It is at Motor Homes of Texas right now. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGKmDkqeN3v73xHK6

Beautiful coach! With all that yellow on the outside, It would be right up Ron Skeen's alley!

Congratulations, I don't believe I've seen two happier faces in a photo for a long time.

for starters the Newell factory does have records on the coach and can provide you a good deal of information.  They will not photocopy any longer due to privacy issues but when we were there they handed my our units complete record folder which I could have easily photocopied.  Hopefully you will receive service records with your coach as well as the Newell portfolio and file boxes which alphabetically catalog all the accessories.  Your major systems like the Silverleaf Total Coach System, Valid slides, and Caterpillar engine all have manuals which if not present can be sourced on line are are a tremendous help.

Our coach is a 2007 and very similar to yours generally.  They are more complicated than your Class B for sure and will take a good deal of time to study and learn the systems.  We seem to find out new things about our coach even though we've had it for almost a year.

Before long you wil become familiar with the air system too.  That's what I call the Achille's heal for the Newell.  It works but requires attention episodically.  Newell used primarily push in fittings probably for speed in manufacture.  If your 120V compressor(s) are running more than 30 seconds in a half hour period of time (Newell mechanic told me they strive for 45') you probably have leaks somewhere and if you can find the leak and replace a pushin with a compression fitting it will help to prevent the leak from recurring.  McMaster Carr carries most of those fittings in the various diameters needed and there are excellent tutorials on YouTube and here in the forum that Newell Guru experts have posted to help out.

I'd suggest making yourself a check list similar to a pilot's check list when traveling.  It's easy to forget things.  I once took off with an awning out because I didn't look up.  fortunately a friendly person at the RV park flagged me down before I tore the awning off. 

Welcome and hope the infor is helpful.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

That is sweet!

Welcome Aboard!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

45 minutes is a VERY low bar. You can easily get into the hours between the 110V air compressor running. Replacing the push in fittings with DOT compression fittings is a great starting point.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531