You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

30 amp service for storage

I didn't see this coming... After reviewing the operating manual for my new to me 2009 (#1261), I figured out that I need a 50 amp service (at all times). There are several RV storage areas, but covered and 50A is nearly impossible. If I had a spare $125K I would grab a site at Mount Olive Shores and park it there... Driving down Friday to take it home.
I wrote the following to the Motorcoach Store after talking to Newell:
Do you have Outback inverter/charger experts down there? I talked to Newell today after reviewing the documentation about the need for 50 amp service. Although I have 50 amp service at my house, my HOA is not amenable to allowing more than 2 days even though I have a 100+ foot driveway.

Newell said a splitter is the the answer (after confirming I had outback, not ProSine), so if there isn't one in the coach, I have at least a 30 amp service at my local covered storage, and might be able to get a second one. Newell said with one, we need the power to go to the "right leg" for charging, and to set the Outback AC in to CORD.

So am I on the right track? I have:
a 50A female to 30A Male service,
a spare 30A to 30A male marine to 30A RV (just in case),
and a 50A female to two 30A male RV in case I can get two 30A outlets. I figure I can get something going out of this.

My Outback seems to be easy to force over to 'CORD' and code an amperage limit.

I will talk to the guys about turning off circuits when I go down to get the coach on Friday.

I've also ordered a 15A AMP-L-Start on the way in case the echo charger for chassis batteries isn't playing well. Since the F150 Toad has to keep its ignition 'on' when on the road, I ordered the Toad Charge for it

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

We use an enclosed storage building that has 30amp power and the coach stays very happy there. The biggest thing is to keep your batteries charging on the 30amps. Newell wired ours (1998) so that the 30amp leg that is energized includes all the major systems, even the A/C unit but don’t run them unless you want to blow a breaker in the storage building - YMMV…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks! Hopefully that's the case with mine!

I realized a little while ago that with the splitter I ordered, if the first 30A connection doesn't show the charger working, all I have to do is switch over to the other one...

I’ve stored my 1993 on 115 volt. I have a Xantrex 458 Invertor/charger. All I need is to keep batts up and fridge running.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Ok, I can help here!

Yes, the "SPLITTER" that Newell refers to is the "Y-adapter" with DUAL 30A MALES to SINGLE 50A FEMALE. Here is an example: 50-30amp Y adapter

This is designed to be plugged into TWO 30A plugs on a pedestal...not something I've seen much of.  Newell says doing it this way will power up the entire coach on both legs of the 50A.

But...I'm in a worse situation for our storage; it has nothing but standard 110v 15A circuits...GFCI to make matters worse!

I've worked out a system in which our 2015 has been successfully plugged in and charging nicely for around 9 months now.  I had to buy an off-board VICTRON 30A charger.  I connect this to my HOUSE batteries using a Anderson Quick-Connect...works great!

My CHASSIS batteries are charged using the on-board XANTREX backup charger, which ONLY goes to the chassis batteries.

A couple key points:
  • I connect these two chargers ON SEPARATE circuits to make sure that they don't both blow at the same time.
  • I do NOT keep my Battery Merge switch on.  This is a FATAL mistake I made because before having separate chargers, losing power means your house will drain ALL of your batteries.  (Ask me how I know!)
  • I have a NEST camera that's stuck to the bay wall, pointed at my "lighted" cords.  So, I just need to log in and I can see that everything is powered up nicely.  Also, IF the camera every loses power, I'll get a notification.  Kinda like a rube-golberg power monitor!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Thanks! I got my splitter today. I will look over the storage spot power tomorrow.

"Since the F150 Toad has to keep its ignition 'on' when on the road, I ordered the Toad Charge for it".

I also tow a F150 sometimes behind the Coach. My 18' F150 doesn't need the key on. Am I missing something?

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

i had my 02 plugged into a non gfci 20a circuit for several years and it worked fine as long for lights and charging. nothing else

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was in -10 below on a snowmobile trip and stay in the Newell on 120 plugged into a motel room. I ran the aqua hot for heat and the battery charger for the batteries that operated the inverted 00to keep all system going with no problem for a week in my 96 Newell. I think the inverter/charger Xantrex Freedom 458

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck