You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Can you identify???

I'm posting this for a fellow Newell owner who is broke down in a rest area outside of Amarillo, TX. He has a series 60 engine. Looking at the side of the engine from the last compartment on the passenger side, there is some type of air valve that mounts to the back side, up high on the engine air compressor. It has castings that say: "Bendix T-293975-G". It is above where the fuel pump mounts. The unidentified valve has two 1/4" air lines going to it that disappear going forward in the coach. On the side of the valve is a threaded port that is identified as "exh". Bob has air escaping out that exhaust port. He is only able to build 50 psi. Photos below:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thats a D2 valve. I controls the compressor cycling.
The're cheap.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

To me that looks like the governor. That , I believe, is the control That unloads the compressor when it reaches the desired pressure. I would start by just shutting down, dumping all air pressure and then starting up again and seeing if that fixes it. Governors are not expensive, depending on the model, as cheap as 20 dollars .

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

WOW! What a great forum. The required information came in less than an hour.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!! Any one have a part number that I can pass on to him? He does have a mobile mechanic coming out tomorrow morning. This is a great forum when you can get help this fast.

Peter,
He did dump the air & try airing back up. At first it would air up to 50 psi before it started exhausting. Now it only goes up to 30 psi. Thanks for your reply.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Any truck mechanic knows what a D2 valve is. As far as a part#, it is such a common part, everyone makes them. There is the standard one that has been in use since compressors have been used on truck, & recently with the advent of the higher temp of the DPF systems a new high temp compressor govorner. Not sure if that is still called a D2 or not, but in a pinch, the old one can be used.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon,
Thanks. I'll pass your info on.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I received a phone call from Bob Standeford, coach #516, who broke down Sunday outside of Amarillo, TX. He had a mobile truck mechanic come to his rescue on Monday. They replaced the govenor and all was well again. The govenor was a $15 part--might want to consider carrying one as it is an easy R & R. The govenor is not a part that requires maintenance, so it either works or it doesn't.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Can this part stop the air compressor from working (not building up pressure at all)? Mine has a leak, and I bought a new one, have not yet installed it. Now my system is not producing any air pressure at all.
Is there any other fuses or solenoids etc. to check ?
Thanks !

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

(03-07-2016, 09:10 PM)Shamu406 Wrote:  Can this part stop the air compressor from working (not building up pressure at all)?
I don't own a Newell, but I have had this exact same problem with our coach, so I'll venture a opinion.  The answer to your question is "Yes".

The air compressor "works" all the time, but it only compresses air when told to by the D-2.  Recommend replacing your D-2.  This will very likely restore proper air compressor function.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/392610/...tml#manual

Chuck, Jeannie & Bella the MalChi
1993 Foretravel U280 SE 40' WTBI
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Kia on a Kar Kaddy SS