You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Stupid Tiny Latches on Blower/Generator Slide Control

I have a few compartments (okay maybe just 2) that use these tiny latches you access through the louvers. They are useless and flimsy. Anyone replace them with something else? Like maybe the rectangular push lateches or even a cicular bay door latch/lock?

I have two sheet metal screws in mine from a PO! Need a better solution and do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Suggestions?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I find those hooks to be an elegant, discreet solution. They are supposed to have springs in them to help them latch securely. I have found the springs are not absolutely necessary if the rivet that attaches the hook to the bracket is tight. A loose rivet could be tightened with a small ball peen hammer and a steel block.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yes, you can use the standard 5 lb spring loaded catch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Part #?

Those existing latches are spindly and difficult to reach.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I have found many items for my Newell restoration at marine hardware vendors. I dont know if this will work for your needs but here is an example:

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/spring-lo...gKtCPD_BwE

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Hoosier,
I'm really looking for matching ones. I suppose I could use an RV bay lock/catch easy enough, but the other side has the rectangular one...I believe they are southco, but not sure.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

mine work just fine. i have them on the generator blower louvered door.

i have replaced them on the 99 i had. carefully drilled them out and put the same ones on with rivets. worked great

if you had new ones on, i dont think you would have any problem with them.

there are several size and catch weights. not hard to fine. i just had a bunch of them for years that i found the right ones in my stash and matched them to what was there

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

https://www.amazon.com/Decorite-5838-Bla...461&sr=8-4

Found by typing 5 pound catch into Amazon

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Those latches on amazon are what I have on my villa couch/dinette to hold the end covers on. They work pretty well. They are WAY different than the latches that were on the generator blower door.

I think Tom knows the right one, but I have no idea how to find the right ones.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

in the too little too late department....
newell could not find the latch part for my coach #395
so im getting sent to me two pairs of differant sets of latches to see which would work best and shipping back the two i dont use