You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

drivers side rear dropping while parked diagnosis and fix

a friend called with a 2001 with a problem that with the coach parked and key off and hwh leveling system is off that the rear drivers side would drop all the way in less than an hour.  

i went to his place and had him air it up.  

when he turned the engine off,  there was a loud air noise.   we checked the drivers side rear ride height valve and it was escaping air out the bottom port.  

that to me meant the drivers side rear travel solenoid was leaking.   i checked it and was not energized (put a screwdriver on the end of the nut holding the coil on and it was not magnetized....and with the key off it should not be)

we drained the air out of the system and as much of the airbag using the all down on the hwh panel.  

took the drivers side travel rear valve out of the six pack manifold and i took the valve apart.  

the buna seal on the center of the plunger that shuts the valve off was below the flush part of the stainless plunger, causing the valve to not seat properly and leak air through.  i replaced the plunger and spring and we put it back in the six pack, aired it up and now the ride height valve was not escaping air when the key was off.  

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom you're absolutely amazing!!!

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

Thanks Tom.
I rebuilt 2 of these solenoids from "The Kits" and the job wasn't as difficult and scary as my mind made it before I started.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

These kits are amazing. Got to replace a bad plunger for the first time a week or two ago. With Tom's instructions it was a breeze. Great peace of mind to have extra rebuild kits at the ready.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO