You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New 1980 owner

Well guys My family and I have purchased a 1980 38 foot coach and we are in love. We bought it from a wonderful couple that took care of her for a long time and now its time for use to create our memories with her. This is our first rv ownership but she was taken care of so well that there shouldn't be any major issues. Our plan is for next year road trip from Oklahoma all the way to Alaska. Also would love to say thank you all for recent replies on my other postings (still learning forums) so my apologies for not relying.

1980 38ft "Ole Girl"
6v92
Austin

Congrats on being a "Newell" owner!

Congrats and good luck  !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Welcome !!!!!!!

Tell us more about you, particularly RV experience, mechanical repair, and electrical comfort level. Not being nosy, just saying the more we know about your background, the better we can tailor answers to your questions.

I would take as many short trips as possible between now and the Alaska trip in order to familiarize yourself with the coach, and identify any issues before you undertake a journey of that magnitude.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the NewellGurus forum.

You'll want to pay attention to Richard, I've always been amazed by his wealth of knowledge, but it wasn't until spending a couple of days with him last week that I learned that he bought his first motorhome from Ikea. Came in a million pieces and he had to assemble it himself.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Great !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Ha be as nosey as you want, the most experience we had is we rented a class a gasser in yellowstone and that made our mind up to dive head first, the longest drive was we bough its in NC and drove her all the way to OK. 1000 miles of joy! I have very decent mechanical knowledge on gas motors but very quick to learn. Electrical comes down to reading a volt meter, tracing wires, cut and solder. on our trip the tach stopped working and the speedo didnt work but all of those can involve updated gauges or following wires. I think that she is going to be a great learning experience and hopefully i will get a remote job and get to go nomad for a year or so.

1980 38ft "Ole Girl"
6v92
Austin

Fantastic, enjoy your new journey.

Congrats and welcome to the club and you came to the right place if you're wanting to learn. Alaska is on my bucket list, but I know i've got several years of knowledge to pick up on before I think I'd feel comfortable on that journey. Really looking forward to it though.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

We bought our 1980 coach last April, we love it. Hopefully you will enjoy yours half as much as we do ours and you will never be disappointed. Where is home base for y’all?
Fair winds and following seas

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)