You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus would like to thank Boomer for joining us.

Throttle Issues 8V92 1986 40'
Here is the deal. The throttle sticks open on my engine DD 8V92 Silver 475 hp). Started out intermittently but now it does it consistently. I first thought it was the cable from the air cylinder to the throttle lever. In fact it was sticky so I replaced it. Next my beautiful assistant operated the throttle pedal while i observed the engine with it not running. The lever operated full on to full off every time. Then I started the engine. When the throttle pedal was depressed the engine went to full rpm and would not return to idle when the pedal was released. I went back to the engine and the cable had released the throttle lever but the lever had not returned to idle. I easily returned it to idle manually. Is perhaps there a spring missing that pulls the throttle back? I am perplexed. I hope it is not a failing governor or the like. I am considering installing a spring return for the throttle. Cant drive it this way. Too much of a thrill!
Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121
Tim ,
I will attempt to attach a picture of my throttle linkage , taken with intake hoses off . There is a return spring .                
1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand
I looked at pdf Detroit service manual , a spring is shown on the stop control shaft (inside governor housing ) , but I see no spring on the speed control shaft . Also looked at Powerline Components online parts catalog , and they show a "booster" spring and bracket . If memory serves , my spring is anchored on the shut off solenoid bracket . As shown in picture , I installed a new spring and cable ( rebuilt cable , California Push /Pull ) .
Owing to the importance of a properly functioning throttle , any opinions welcome .
Chris
1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand
The pictures are priceless. My setup is basically like yours except no solenoid. Sounds like the booster spring might be the ticket. I can't seem to find that spring on Powerline site though. Do you know what part number it was?
Thanks so much for the help. Newell Gurus are the best!
I got my cable from CA PushPull also. Great folks.
Actually,  I was looking at the parts catalog to make sure there is external spring . Not sure the set up shown in Powerline would work , but it's pg 128 in 8v92 cat , throttle control section .
Is there another lever near the speed control lever on the governor?  That is the fuel shut off lever , something will be there to activate it when you switch off . Mine has the air /electric solenoid that pushes against the lever to shut down. 
I will post another picture in the morning,  better Internet at the shop .
I sourced the new throttle return spring from McMaster Carr , tried to match old spring as near as possible .
One last thing,  Kyleb has a really neat throttle set up using a Williams air throttle . Look in Driveline/Williams air throttle,  vicinity of 2/2018. Couple of pictures there . I have all the parts /material to build that when time available.
1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Picture taken when radiator was off . Look between fan blades @ one o'clock . Shut down solenoid with air hose , throttle lever , spring , etc .
1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand
That is the way mine is constructed also now that I have crawled up in there. Should be able to add a spring pretty easily.
Another question you might be able to answer. Where is the coolant temp sensor located? Is that it between the fan blades at 3 o'clock in the picture? My temp gage on the dash is not working and i am trying to troubleshoot it. There is a loose wire that reaches that point on my engine.
Yes , that is the water temp sensor,  just below thermostat housing for passenger side. It is very important that you have an operational temperature gauge . I recently added a second gauge with sensor installed in driver's side . The gauge is from Max tow .
The original gauges have a reputation for inaccuracy,  but I have to say mine reads very close to the new gauge . Advantages of the Max Tow is visibility and digital read out as well as analog .
Get a reliable engine temp gauge working on your coach , whether you fix original,  add another or both .
I sourced throttle return spring from McMaster Carr,  can probably get a P/N if needed .
1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand
Sourced a spring and it works like a charm. Throttle returns as it should. Thanks for walking me through this!

Also, thank you for the advice on the temp gage. The throttle was #1 and then the cooling system. Going to pull the radiator and have it cleaned as the fins are pretty clogged up and i suspect the core is dirty also.
When I picked up this coach the only temp gage working was the oil temp. It created a lot of anxiety with only the oil temp gage working on the drive home.