You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hwy 40 to Miami good, bad? Long grade?

I'm looking at taking hwy 40 to Newell 3rd week of November. How is this stretch? I heard there is a real climb from Kingman to Flagstaff?

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

I would check the cameras on the interstate before you go. If it’s clear it’s not bad. Otherwise take 10 out of Phoenix to Tucson and over to Las Cruces. Then 25 north to Albuquerque. If you are ok getting off the interstate you can get off 10 at Deming and go to Hatch to get to 25. Takes a little time off.

I think the grade from Sacramento to Reno is much worse than what you will experience on I-40.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Just curious about your concern. Is it overheating going up or controlling speed coming down.?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You gain about 3,600' over 148 miles, but no grades over 6%. Have done it many times in our '82 Newell. The climb up I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is more demanding at 6,000' elevation gain over the same distance.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I would agree with Chester. Having done the Sacramento to Reno countless times, 580(Altamont pass) 5 over the grapevine, the east/westbound 10, 40, 80, and even 50 once, 40 is cool. Its all pretty and as said before 6% grade is the max. If I'm not mistaken 6% maybe a maximum by some federal highway standard ? Some one will correct me, as I am mostly assuming from experience

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen

Richard,
It was more of an issue of a possible turbo issue.
When I left Florida I was getting a lot of black smoke on acceleration climbing any grades. Since I haven't made any long trips because of covid I was thinking I didn't want to strain the ole girl too much.

I recorded some "turbo vane errors" which haven't been diagnosed yet. I wanted to possibly deal with a new turbo after getting a few slide bearings replaced.

I may put those repairs aside until Jan 22 and deal with the turbo issue before getting her out on the open road again.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive