You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Soon to be owner

Hi, My name is Simon and I am a busaholic....

I finished converting a skoolie and now I am off to Newell land. I found a nice 1993 44' model. Still learning about these. I will be bringing it home in a week or so.
From all my research, I was looking at the most coach I could afford for the best quality. This one will need a little bit of updating. Mostly carpet, countertops and shades. The interior has the satin curved white melamine cabinets which we do like and are in very good condition aside from a crack on the return panel of the refrigerator. Not having much luck finding specs on this particular one.

We are located in Mesa AZ.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome BusNit. Looks like it is in nice cosmetic condition. Since the paint is not original it is difficult to tell which specific coach you are purchasing. If you would provide the last three digits of the VIN, I will check to see if I have any information on that particular coach but I have limited information for coaches in 1993. That coach would have the Detroit 8V92 with the Allison HT 740 transmission.

Congratulations, Simon.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thank you Michael! Yes, this one has been repainted. It has a magenta color showing at some areas that may have peeled on the interior engine compartment doors. Original owner had it for 17 years and bought it that way. The selling agent will get me a vin today. This one has 125k miles with a 8v92ta 450hp engine. I am leery of the 2 strokes since no one near me will touch them anymore. I am mechanically inclined but honestly do not want to have to deal with any tear downs other than gaskets. I called Newell and left them a message inquiring about repowering in the future but no one returned the call. I understand it is an older coach that they too, do not want to mess with in that regard.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

i had a 90 and there are alot of folks on here with 80's and 90's 8v92s. the people that are repowering are the classic newells with the engines other than the detroit.

only issue is overheating and if you are careful that will never happen. it is a great engine and NOTHING sounds as good as a two stroke detroit reving up.

that coach will have ddec, so since the dash gauges are soooo inaccurate and non linear, get a vmspc or some other system that ties directly into the ddec and you will know exactly what your temps are.

i like the layout of your coach. chairs instead of benches for dinette i like. the carpet has been changed already i bet because i would venture to say it had tile in the kitchen area before. but maybe not.

there are a number of two stroke guys around, you just have to find them. there is an outstanding one here in the phoenix area in mesa.

welcome again

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

There is a guy in ‘Tennessee who works on two strokes.  He not much on DDEC rather, he likes mechanical.  However, he has a son and I believe he works on them.  Check YouTube for bus grease monkey, he works on a ton of Detroits. I don’t have any first hand experience so disclaim any knowledge of his business dealings.  
You will have to go a long way to find better craftsmanship than in a Newell.   As you progress through getting comfortable with your Newell, you’ll appreciate it!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Welcome. I look forward to seeing how you make it your own.

My plan is to drive my 8V92 like I stole it until it gives up ( I do keep an eye on the temp tho & ease up a bit when it gets to 195 & don't let it get over 200F )

If the time comes when I have to pull the engine - I will then look at what engines are available in the used market to get something a little more current. It shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate what ever brackets are needed.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

."As you progress through getting comfortable with your Newell, you’ll appreciate it!"

A truer comment couldn't be made.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Well, I immediately fell in love with the quality of this coach. My wife and I are in our early 50’s and want to start enjoying life a tad bit more. We work constantly and do not really go anywhere. In due time the goal would be to cash out of our house and travel. Perhaps buy a smaller home on acreage in the Southeast.

I have heard of bus grease monkey. I watch many of his videos. I can do much of the work once I figure out how to properly jack this up and properly block it.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Welcome and good luck! 
Safety first when jacking / cribbing . A sudden suspension deflation would ruin your day . You will work out jack points as you go . Don't give up on the 8V92 ! Parts are available , as well as information. Detroit shop and parts manuals are out there on pdf as well as paper . I also enjoy the Bus Grease Monkey videos . He has been doing some DDEC work , has the equipment for them . 
This amazing forum has a lot of knowledge and experience that you can avail yourself of .
Enjoy the journey.

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand