You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blind pig finds acorn, or muffler in my case

Cruising I 40 westbound, minding my own amongst the ten jillion trucks. Truck in front of me, swerves drastically. There is a tire, not just the tread, the whole truck tire, in the road. I swerve as hard as I dare and just clip it with the edge of the driver side tires. 

I look in the mirror to see what the obstacle did, only to see my muffler turning somersaults down the road. I am not that quick, but I know immediately that this is no bueno. 

Travel up the road a bit till the next safe place to park, listening to exhaust notes and worried about CO poisoning. On the upside, the jakes sound wicked. 

Disconnect car and travel back to the scene of the crime to find clamps, muffler elbow, muffler and tail pipe all within 100 yds of the tire, and all on the right side of the road. I didn’t have to enter traffic to retrieve anything. It’s a bit scuffed, and a hammer fixed enough of the dents to reinstall. 

We are back on the road, just a bit later than planned. 

Safe travels.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That had to be a scary moment with a whole tire sitting there! Glad to hear it turned out with the minor scrape and now you know what a straight pipe would sound like :-).

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Richard,

So happy that you and Rhonda made it through safely.

Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Glad that worked out as well as it did!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Richard,
Thanks for reminding all of us that sometimes it's better to hang on tightly to the steering wheel and grit your teeth for an impact rather than swerve too aggressively and experience total loss of control and a possible roll over.

Wow. And the $$ you saved by retrieving all the parts. Glad y’all are safe. It could have been much worse. Safe travels.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

“The Jakes sound awesome”. Lol - that made my day! Glad you guys are safe - we need you here!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I’m guessing something like this would help?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Happy yu'all are safe.  I was surprised to see more road debris this season, including a rear outside tire blow off the back of a 53' trailer without the driver even knowing.  The only thing that saved us was the space between us and the debris.  I had a professional driver patient who told me "Never follow a truck, stuff falls off all the time".  Good adice I think.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Happy yu'all are safe and found your acorns.  I was surprised to see more road debris this season, including a rear outside tire blow off the back of a 53' trailer without the driver even knowing.  The only thing that saved us was the space between us and the debris.  I had a professional driver tell me once "Never follow a truck, stuff falls off all the time".  Good adice I think.  Give me more space, I don't react as quickly as I used to.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer"