You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VMspc or Bluefire?

I'm not partial to one or another but rather looking to see which one would work best on a tablet. I wanted to install a small tablet somewhere to monitor engine operating stats when underway. That said, I do not want to have a laptop set up on the console. What's the popular consensus on which system would work for my needs with a small 8-10" tablet? Thanks guys!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I prefer android tablets and am using bluefire. Make sure you understand the difference between the bluefire units as one is low power bluetooth only and is not compatible with older android tablets. I am using an old ASUS TF700 I had lying around..it has a keyboard dock with a 16 hour battery (though I am plugged into a charger/12v source) and it sits nicely on the center console.

Silverleaf (VMSPC)has just been purchased so perhaps some newer version is on the horizon, but right now it's a bit long in the tooth.

As always, YMMV!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

It is my understanding that VMSpc ONLY runs on Windows based pc's or pc tablets, no ipad or android based tablets. Chester Stone have set it up on a small Asus pc tablet he mounted on the dash covering some of the analog gauges.

http://newellgurus.com/attachment.php?aid=898
http://newellgurus.com/attachment.php?aid=2499
http://newellgurus.com/attachment.php?aid=2497

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

If you want to use an 8-10" tablet your only option is Bluefire. VMSpec requires a Windows operating system, Bluefire will work with Windows, Android, or Apple.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I have VMSPC running on a small Windows tablet (Onn) and it works fine - I like the idea of running on an Android or iPad tablet and may look into Bluefire in the future. It would be nice to have a smaller, maybe 8” screen to better fit the space but the 10” on the floor works fine.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

If you go with the VMSpc I can email a copy of the windows program that is referred to by Michael.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I don't know if you are aware, the Bluefire app works on Amazon Fire tablets. The only recommendation I have on those, get one with USB-C. We had an issue with an older one that failed to charge because of the USB port, USB-C solves that issue.

"Now with USB-C for easier charging. Fully charges in under 4 hours (with included cable and adapter)."

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks for everyone's input. I went with the BlueFire unit. Ordered the ALDL to 9 pin converter harness. I will experiment with a new Samsung Galaxy A7 lite tablet as I am installing those in a few places in the coach to control audio and some lighting. (Vidabox makes a nice thin line wall mount enclosure for almost any tablet made) The BlueFire gauges I need to decide if I use some kind of GPS screen to display them or another tablet. I really do not want much clutter up front. Not that kind of guy who wants screens all over the place at the cockpit! I still prefer analog gauges for nostalgia but realize we need modern tech to watch over what is really going on.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

As long as I have GPS, Engine Diagnostics and a movie playing up front I’m good to go :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

My wife is the movie/tv couch potato junkie. I am a road warrior, engine detailer and tire armoraller kind of guy! I used to drive professionally when I was younger. Still have my CDL. Riding the mirrors is what I do best. Watching TV and not being productive in some fashion? Not so much!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312